From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Presbyterians gather for food, fun and fellowship at Menaul School

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 06 Jul 1996 11:19:25

05-July-1996

GA96106

    Presbyterians gather for food, fun and fellowship at Menaul School

ALBUQUERQUE - Thousands of  Presbyterians gathered at the historic Menaul
School here July 4th for an evening of food, fun and fellowship.

    Presented the opportunity to sample some of the best food in the
Southwest ranging from Native American and New Mexican cuisine to "gringo"
hamburgers and hot dogs, visitors scarfed it down to the delight of their
generous hosts.

    Between bites, they watched as various Pueblo and Northern New Mexico
artists demonstrated their artwork. They also danced and swayed to a
synthesis of musical merriment including a watermelon jug band, mariachis,
Scottish bag pipers, Native American choirs, Mexican dancers, jazz and
Dixieland musicians, sacred music and more.

    By event's end, no one including Mae H. Shields of the Palisades
Presbytery, seemed to care that there were no fireworks whizzing through
the air to commemorate Independence Day.

    "I'm just volunteering out here because I think it's a worthy cause and
the things that they've been doing at the school for years have really been
instrumental in this area," Shields said. "I've met a lot of students
who've finished here and they seem to have done very well and are
appreciative of the fact that the Presbyterian Church helped them out with
their education."

    Among those appreciative graduates is Edmundo E. Vasquez, former Menual
School president from 1972-78. He said the school prides itself on
graduating students who understand that success hinges upon their ability
to live with, work with, and love people.

    "We've worked hard to keep our school going over the years," said
Vasquez, a class of 1949 graduate. "This school has made a tremendous
difference in the lives of our Hispanic, Native American and black
students."

    Menaul School was founded in 1881 as a response to Presbyterian concern
for education for Native New Mexican people, for whom access to education
was almost nonexistent. The Rev. James Menaul, the school's founder,
particularly wanted to train future teachers and pastors.

    For 100 years, the school has continued in this tradition of providing
high-quality education to racially and ethnically diverse youth by
preparing them to serve in their communities and the world. The school
blends the Anglo, Hispanic, and Native American cultures that dominate the
region, while emphasizing the strong spiritual development of its students
through Christian education.

    "We still feel that Reformed theology, as represented by the
Presbyterian Church is good for any society,"said Paul Baez, chair of the
school's 14-member board of trustees. "More than 90 percent of Menaul
graduates go to college, so we prepare a lot of future leaders out of our
student population."

Julian Shipp

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073