From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

General Assembly Council reviews staff election process

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 06 Jul 1996 11:19:29

05-July-1996

GA96110

         General Assembly Council reviews staff election process

ALBUQUERQUE--The General Assembly Council today accepted the resignation of
the Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick as director of the Worldwide Ministries
Division of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).  During a brief noon meeting,
the Council applauded Kirkpatrick's election as Stated Clerk of the
denomination and put in motion the process to find a new division director.

    Kirkpatrick's resignation as division director is effective August 5,
1996.

    In brief remarks, Kirkpatrick said it had been a "tremendous,
tremendous privilege" to lead the mission endeavors of the church.  Since
his "ecclesiology is that the church is a missionary society," Kirkpatrick
said he did not see the division some saw between the ecclesiastical work
of the church and its work in mission.  He pledged to work "extraordinarily
closely" with the General Assembly Council.

    Bill McIvor, chair of the Council, outlined the process for replacing
Kirkpatrick.  First, the executive director of the Council will appoint an
interim director after consultations with both  elected members of the
division and its staff.  Then a search committee of seven persons will be
appointed, four from the division and three from the GAC, including the
executive director.  This committee will nominate a division director to
the Council; the director will be elected by the Council and confirmed by
the General Assembly.

    McIvor also outlined the process for replacing the Rev. James Brown as
executive director of the Council.  Brown, who is completing a four year
term in office, was nominated for a second term.  The Assembly voted not to
confirm his reelection.

    Brown briefly addressed the Council.  "I don't have a speech," he began
before being overcome by emotion.  "I didn't think I'd cry," he confessed.
"I have prayed for myself that I will come out of this without bitterness;
I have some very deep pain," he said.  "We are sort of out of focus in the
structure of the church," he continued.  "At [General Assembly] it is hard
to know where a GAC director fits in, where a Council fits in. . . In a
leadership role it's been tough to know the fit."  If he had it to do over
again, Brown said, "I would not do this differently.  When I recover, I
will cherish this time, and I want to thank you," he concluded.

    McIvor stressed that Brown "will continue in office with full
authority" until his term ends September 16, 1996.  He noted that the
Manual of Operations does not deal specifically with what to do if the
executive director nominee is not confirmed.  "We will follow [the
established] procedures as closely as we are able," he concluded.

      The first step, McIvor said, would be to consult with staff and
appropriate entities.  The personnel sub-committee will determine whether
or not an interim executive director is needed. The executive committee of
the Council will appoint one, if necessary.  Seven members of the Council
will be appointed to be a search committee.  They will be nominated by the
GAC's nominating committee and elected by the Council.  They will nominate
a new executive director to the GAC, which will elect that person, subject
to the confirmation of the General Assembly.

    Council members voiced great pain over the Assembly's action not to
confirm Brown.  They debated whether or not to express to commissioners
their concerns over the process and their pain over the results.  They
chose not to do so because, as McIvor said, "it will inevitably be received
in the wrong way."

Peggy Rounseville

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073