From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Goodbye a step in growth says Friday's preacher

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 06 Jul 1996 11:19:29

05-July-1996

GA96107

    Goodbye a step in growth says Friday's preacher

ALBUQUERQUE--"Jesus' good-bye provides a pattern for our own leave taking,
for our own good-byes," the Rev. Dr. James O'Dell told worshipers here
Friday. O'Dell, pastor of Trinity Presbyterian Church, Cherry Hill, N.J.,
used Christ's command to "go and make disciples of all nations" (Matthew
28:16-20)  as his text.

    Commissioners interrupted their early morning business session to sing
hymns from Ghana, Korea, the Dakota Sioux, and South America.  They
listened to music played on indigenous instruments, including the marimba,
as they refocused for the work ahead.

    O'Dell contrasted Christ's good-bye with human good-byes.  He began by
singing the Mickey Mouse Club "closing hymn" which, he said reflects the
difficulty humans have in saying good-bye.  Good-byes are usually
difficult, especially when they involve issues like relocation, divorce,
and "the final good-bye of death," he noted.

    "We try to stall the inevitable.  We draw out the necessary conclusion
like the child at bedtime," he continued.  This behavior "reflects our
latent "fear of separation," he said.  "We don't like being cut off from
others," he noted.  "It leaves us feeling alone, isolated, and
impoverished."  Despite these feelings, saying good-bye "may be a necessary
step in our growth," O'Dell said.

    Jesus' good-bye began "with words of assignment and ended with words of
assurance," O'Dell remarked.  He spoke "specific words of
instruction--'go,' `baptize,' `teach,'--and finished with words of promise:
`I will be with you always.'"

    Christ's "Great Commission" implies "the church today no longer has the
luxury to pick and choose those to whom we will minister." Presbyterians
need to "say good-bye to some of the things that have hindered the work of
the church in this post-Christian era," O'Dell claimed.  He identified some
of these as "rigid lines of division that separate," " the assumption of
our own rightness," and "stereotypes of gender, race, age, class, sexual
orientation."

    "Our penchant for wanting to do things our own way sometimes gets in
the way of the command of Christ," O'Dell went on.  "His call points to
breaking down the walls of separation."  In response to Christ's  words,
"you and I now have the challenging task to continue his work in his
church."

    Jesus' final promise, "Lo, I am with you always," begins with a word
meaning "behold, look, see," O'Dell said.  "Lo" calls us to "an active
sense of the presence of the Christ even after his leaving," he continued.
"He is saying even at the time of parting, `Lo, look around, behold, see
that I am with you.  Look for my presence wherever you are and whatever you
are called to do for I am with you."  Christ "is with us, within us, among
us if we will just discipline ourselves to recognize it."

    "May the gift of God in Jesus Christ enable us to say good-bye to all
that would hinder us from doing God's will," O'Dell continued.  "May it
strengthen us in the knowledge that in everything we do and determine,
whether we succeed or fail, that same Jesus Christ is with us."  Good-bye
means "God is with us," he noted.  "Thank God in Jesus Christ he is and
always will be."

    Cantor for this service was Fernando Ortega, Los Angeles, Calif.  He
led singing in both Spanish and English.  Amanda Isaacs, a junior at Cibola
High School, Albuquerque, N.M., and Junlin Hwang, Albuquerque, N.M., were
the liturgists. Music was provided on indigenous instruments by Steve
Chavez and John Bartlit, both of Albuquerque.  Bonnie Husler, Rio Rancho,
N.M., and David Leicester, Albuquerque, played trumpet.  Todd Jully,
Clayton, Ind., served as percussionist.  Jeff Jolly, Albuquerque, and Bob
Deuble, Belen, N.M., played guitar.

Peggy Rounseville

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073