From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

McIvor and Brown Take Stock, Look Ahead

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 09 Jul 1996 18:31:10

08-July-1996

GA96117
           McIvor and Brown Take Stock, Look Ahead

Albuquerque--In a Saturday morning press conference, General Assembly
Council leaders assessed the implications of this traumatic week and line
things up for the future.  Council Chair William McIvor spoke briefly about
what he called "a difficult period," then gave way to Executive Director
James Brown; Brown made efforts to debrief the pain and disappointment in
his own life and that of the Council, occasioned by the Assembly's failure
to confirm his election to a second term, but also pointed to signs of hope
for the future of the PCUSA.

McIvor, in evident sympathy with Brown's disappointment, spoke frankly
about the "networks of negativity" to which he attributed part of the
Assembly's attitude.  He told of hearing that commissioners had received up
to 30 letters each, before the meeting, critical of Jim Brown's leadership,
and opined, "That was not a spontaneous effort."

Looking to the future, McIvor spoke of the 50 new members coming onto the
Council -- including new presbytery representatives mandated by this
meeting. He also spoke about the "ripple effect" in the Presbyterian Center
in Louisville, aftermath of the Brown decision. "We were just beginning to
recover from some disruptions, and have more to come."

What's next?  He reported a very recent meeting at which the resignation of
Cliff Kirkpatrick was received (he was elected as the denomination's Stated
Clerk," and noted wryly that Jim Brown would be the one to name the Interim
Director of World Wide Ministries.  In six to eight weeks he hopes to have
an Interim GAC Director named and to set up a search committee to nominate
Brown's successor.

Jim Brown acknowledged this as "a tumultuous couple of days," with
something of a smile, then spoke of "reality checks" in store for him and
for the Council.  He said he is going out "with my head up," grateful for
what has been accomplished during a time of "turbulence and
discombobulation," saddened by what he perceives to have been some unfair
tactics used to unseat him.

Brown mentioned four key problems which have marked his term:  Downsizing,
Reimagining, Reconciliation (with the Presbyterian Lay Committee), and
Quadrennial Review, the impact of restructuring proposed by the 1995 GA.
He listed significant achievements by the mission arms and divisions:  from
a financial deficit to a balanced budget; programs promoting the
renaissance of youth ministry; the Year with Africa (and now Latin
America); working things out with the Presbyterian Foundation and the
Presbyterian Publishing Corporation, and the new beginnings of "Covenant
2000," a partnership program to prepare for the new century.  He called the
last five months "the most productive of my ministry," and expressed regret
that no note was taken of that; instead, he said, he feels like the
Assembly's summary evaluation had elements of "caricature and
misinformation."

Signs of hope include the church's new humility; the vitality in
congregational life; new worship forms; the new vitality of the laity; and
significant successes by all the national divisions and agentries, for
which little credit has been generated.

Advice for his successor?  He will urge him or her to nurture the community
at 100 Witherspoon Street and to focus the role of the Executive Director
more sharply.  He spoke of his job as "hard to focus; when I squint it
doesn't quite come into focus."  He said he hoped the GAC would not give
into critics and choose someone from the business world.  He also said he
thought the office was understaffed, and that there was need for a person
to help in the operational side of the job.

He spoke sharply and directly about his critics:  "I hope the Genevans will
take stock of what they are about; they have the right to organize, but not
to caricature."  Of the Presbyterian Layman, he said, "Not once in my four
years have they called to verify the facts or a quotation."  He said, "I
don't expect people to agree, but I do expect more attention to
truth-telling."

Houston Hodges

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073