From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Gwen Carr Opens ELCA Women of Color Event

From ELCANEWS@ELCASCO.ELCA.ORG
Date 16 Jul 1996 16:07:08

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 10, 1996

GWEN CARR OPENS WOMEN OF COLOR EVENT
96-WO-01-LC

     MINNEAPOLIS (ELCA) -- Bonds between people are important.  A bond
is something that holds people together.  It is a relationship, a
promise, said Gwen Carr, Salem, Ore., at the opening of the Women of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's "Women of Color
Gathering."
     About 135 women of color gathered July 8-10 for worship, ethnic
caucuses, workshops, and speeches.  The gathering preceded Women of
the ELCA's Third Triennial Convention.  Thousands of women are
expected to attend the convention which meets here July 11-14 under
the theme "Proclaim God's Peace."
     "We talk a lot in this church about diversity," said Carr,
president of the Women of the ELCA from 1990 to1993.  "We interact
with each other, but we don't bond."
     Truth, candor and vulnerability are all steps toward
relationships.  We can't make and keep promises until we are open,
accepting and forgiving of each other, said Carr. "Trusting is a
difficult promise for people of color.  In spite of that, in the midst
of it, God gives us no excuses...none," she said.  God calls us to
unity of the spirit and the bond ofpeace with all people, she added.
     Workshops dealt with such issues as domestic violence, English as
the official language, refugee ministry, expressions of spirituality,
women of color and leadership, affirmative action, and advocating for
children.
     A large delegation of women from Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin
Islands were unable to attend at the last minute, grounded by
Hurricane Bertha.
     About 10 international women were part of a panel presentation.
Nirmala Peter,from India, recently graduated from Luther Seminary, St.
Paul, Minn.  Peter plans to return to India and start a women's
training center to teach tailoring and sewing.  "When I came to the
United States I was amazed at the freedom women had," she said.
"Here, I had an opportunity to grow, to have my talents recognized,"
said Peter.  "You people have empowered me.  I have a vision to go
back and empower other women."
     When I look out into this group, I feel like I am back in
Tanzania, said
Eliashukura Nasaki.  Nasaki's husband is studying at Waldorf College,
Dubuque, Iowa.
     When God called me to work among the Hispanics in the United
States, nobody could believe me, said Gissela Blanco.  "Things God put
in my heart nobody can take out."
Blanco is from Peru, studying at Luther Seminary.      During a small
group exercise, African American, Native American, Hispanic and
Asian women shared their experiences as women of color in the church.
"I have been so wrapped up in my experience as an African American
woman, I don't know anything about the Native American women's
experience," said one participant.  I will take their stories back to
my congregation, she added.
     Color and culture do matter in this country, and they matter to
us, said Carr.  We talk a lot about all being the same in God's eyes.
That's not true. We are all different, she added.
     "We come (to Minneapolis), to quote Robert Frost, because  we
have promises to keep and miles to go before we sleep.'  We are
bonding with women of color, with Women of the ELCA," Carr said.
     The Rev. Margrethe C. Kleiber, Tierrasanta Lutheran Church, San
Diego, Calif., preached at the closing worship.  "We can keep the
promise, the promise of peace." Unlike the Hawaiian lei, the promise
of peace is not a perishable promise, it is God's promise to us, she
said.
     The closing offering will be donated to the rebuilding effort of
burned black churches.
     The women of color will present a resolution to the convention on
Thursday asking that future gatherings be planned in conjuction with
the convention and a line item for the event be in future budgets.
     The triennial convention is the chief legislative authority of
Women of the ELCA. At the convention about 500 delegates will elect
officers and board members, consider memorials from congregational
units and synodical women's organizations, and set priorities for the
triennium.

     For information contact: Ann Hafften, Dir., ELCA News Service,
(312) 380-2958; Frank Imhoff, Assoc. Dir., (312) 380-2955; Lia
Christiansen, Asst. ir., (312) 380-2956