From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Women of the ELCA Elects New President

From ELCANEWS@ELCASCO.ELCA.ORG
Date 17 Jul 1996 08:58:42

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 11, 1996

WOMEN OF THE ELCA ELECTS NEW PRESIDENT
96-WO-07-LC

     MINNEAPOLIS (ELCA) -- Sharroll A. Bernahl, Fort Morgan, Colo.,
was elected president of Women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America July 11 on the fourth ballot.
Bernahl, 52, a member of the organization's Executive Board, was
elected with 268 votes from the 485 voting members.  Women of the
ELCA's Third Triennial Convention is meeting here
July 11-14 under the theme "Proclaim God's Peace."
     Bernahl said her vision for Women of the ELCA is that: "we're all
community ... everyone is allowed in," during her speech prior to the
third ballot.  During a round of speeches made by the five finalists
following the second ballot, Bernahl noted that both her 75-year-old
mother and 25-year-old daughter are members of Women of the ELCA.
     Bernahl was elected to the Executive Board at the Second
Triennial Convention in Washington, D.C., in 1993.  She holds
positions on Women of the ELCA's Affirmative Action Committee and
Governance Document Review Committee.
     A registered nurse instructor at Morgan Community College,
Bernahl  is also a part-time college student.  At her home
congregation, Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer, she is a Bible
study leader, a lay assistant minister and adult forum leader.  She
serves on the Pastor-Parish Support Committee and the ELCA Long Term
Care Facility executive board.
     Eighty-seven women received first-vote nominations.  The top five
vote-getters on the first ballot were Merle Freije, Mayville, N.D., 79
votes; Faith Ashton, Chapel Hill, N.C., 58; Georganne Robertson,
Olympia, Wash., 39; Bernahl, 28; and Jane Erdahl, Salt Lake City,
Utah, 20.
     On second ballot, Freije led with 131 votes, Ashton 93, Robertson
60, Erdahl 37 and Bernahl had 35.  On the third ballot, Bernahl jumped
from fifth to second with 99 votes.  Freije led with 141.
     "I am a strong believer in prayer," Bernahl said to the
convention after her election.  "I mandate each of you to pray for me
and this organization."
     The triennial convention is the chief legislative authority of
Women of the ELCA.  At the convention about 500 delegates elect
officers and board members, consider resolutions from congregational
units and synodical women's organizations, and set priorities for the
triennium.  More than 500,000 Lutheran women participate in the
organization.

     For information contact: Ann Hafften, Dir., ELCA News Service,
(312) 380-2958; Frank Imhoff, Assoc. Dir., (312) 380-2955; Lia
Christiansen, Asst. Dir., (312) 380-2956