From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Rigoberta Menchu Speaks at Women of the ELCA Convention

From ELCANEWS@ELCASCO.ELCA.ORG
Date 17 Jul 1996 13:53:06

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 12, 1996

MENCHU ASKS WOMEN TO FIGHT FOR PEACE
96-WO-11-FI

     MINNEAPOLIS (ELCA) -- "If every woman in the world would fight
injustice, injustice would not continue," Rigoberta Menchu Tum told
thousands of women attending the Third Triennial Convention of Women
of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America meeting here July 12.
Most women in the world, however, cannot participate in such a fight
because of the oppression they experience, she said.
     "I am not here to instruct you.  I know you are all leaders in
your community," said enchu.  "The struggle for justice unites us."
She addressed the convention theme, "Proclaim God's Peace."
     "I come to speak to you because the women of the ELCA are women
who struggle for justice," she said.  "It is not something you do for
a year or some period of time.  It is a vocation for life."
     Menchu, 36, received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1992 for her work
for the human rights of indigenous people in the Central American
nation of Guatemala.  She was the first indigenous and youngest person
to receive that honor.
     "I was born the same year the armed conflict began, so my whole
life has been influenced by armed conflict," said Menchu.  Her 1983
testimonial book, "I, Rigoberta Menchu, An Indian Woman in Guatemala,"
documented her personal struggle for peace.  Her parents and brother
were killed during the conflict, and she was exiled to Mexico from
1980 to 1994.
     The peace process in Guatemala is advancing, with 10 of 14
accords already signed, Menchu said.  "Signing is not the end of
conflict.  We need to ensure that the accords will be observed.  The
agreements must translate into housing and food for the poor of
Guatemala."
     She also expressed hope that racism would end in Guatemala.  "For
the first time the Mayan people will be treated with dignity," said
Menchu.  "The richness of the Maya-Quich# culture will be shared with
the world."
     Reconciliation would be the hardest part of the peace process.
"How are the people of Guatemala going to reconcile with one another?"
she asked.  More than 145,000 individuals in 440 communities were
killed.  Thousands of orphans are left to reconcile their differences.
"Conflicts will always be with us," she said.
     "It is a great challenge that we have before us.  The victims
must be involved.  We victims must decide what we must do to end
injustice," said Menchu.
     "We would not be victims forever.  We are happy people who look
to the future with confidence," she said.
     "No human being can live without faith.  Faith is the most
important part of our existence.  Part of faith is to have faith in
one another.  I hope we will be part of one large community,"she said.
     "We must start all over again, especially in building the
community of faith.  The community, the family is the basic unit for
teaching peace," said Menchu.
     "The time for giving speeches is over.  We need action.  We
should sink all available resources into achieving our goals," she
said.  Menchu said she heard statistics on the wealth of nations used
to fight wars.  "I am sure that if that investment in war were made to
peace, we would be able to end war all over the world."
     "I urge you to support the initiatives of men and women who know
how to dream and how to lead," said Menchu.  She used the women's
cooperatives that small religious organizations have established in
Guatemala as an example.
     The United Nations has appointed Menchu as goodwill ambassador
for the International Decade of Indigenous Peoples, 1995-2004.  She is
concerned that the celebration of the decade will only be symbolic in
many nations.  "This ambassador does not want to be symbolic.  I will
be sure to call on everyone who can help make these goals a reality,"
she said.  "Goodwill will not change the world."
     "Work with us to help indigenous girls, to help indigenous
women," said Menchu.  "Walk with me, so this decade will not only be a
symbolic celebration."

     For information contact: Ann Hafften, Dir., ELCA News Service,
(312) 380-2958; Frank Imhoff, Assoc. Dir., (312) 380-2955; Lia
Christiansen, Asst. Dir.,
     (312) 380-2956