From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Presiding Bishop Shares Signs of Hope

From ELCANEWS@ELCASCO.ELCA.ORG
Date 17 Jul 1996 15:25:31

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 13, 1996

BISHOP ANDERSON: SIGNS OF HOPE
96-WO-14-LC

        MINNEAPOLIS (ELCA) -- Women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church
in America play an important role in congregations and in their
communities, said the Rev. H. George Anderson, presiding bishop of the
ELCA.  Anderson addressed 5,700 women here during Women of the ELCA#s
Third Triennial Convention.  The convention is meeting here July 11-14
under the theme, #Proclaim God#s Peace.#
        Anderson thanked the organization for its gift each year.
Women of the ELCA#s $3,900,670 budget contains a $1 million gift to
the ELCA.
        Anderson said the #ELCA turned a corner in life of this
church,# last year.  He credits the Rev. Herbert W. Chilstrom, bishop
of the ELCA from 1988 to 1995 for #his steady, persevering leadership
that brought us through those days.#
        In his first year as presiding bishop, Anderson#s first
priority is to visit all 65 synods of the ELCA.  In meetings with
pastors and lay leaders thus far Anderson has seen signs of hope that
he puts into four categories.
        First, he says, the statistics look better.  Adult baptisms
have increased.  Mission support for the first time in the life of the
ELCA has increased from the year before.  With more funds, #we were
able to do some things immediately: two new medical missionaries, new
mission starts, plus other expanded ministry opportunities,# he said.

        The second is women in leadership.  #When I ask pastors what
has changed in this church since they began their ministry, this is
the number one reason given as a sign of hope,# he said.  Anderson
pointed to the Rev. Bonnie L. Jensen, executive director of the ELCA#s
Division for Global Mission and Wyvetta Bullock, executive director of
the Division for Congregational Ministries, leaders in the ELCA.
Women #not simply add diversity to ministry, but a richer, profound
understanding of the gospel.#  North American Lutherans began
ordaining women in 1970.
        Innovations in worship is a third sign of hope.  Anderson said
he sees a new spirit in worship -- a #sense of the kind of rich
diverse church we#re going to become.#
        The fourth sign of hope is youth.  We have a  tremendous youth
program, said Anderson.  #Our National Youth Gathering is the largest
in the country# and brought 34,000 youth to Atlanta in 1994.  Anderson
attended a recent regional youth gathering in Anaheim, Calif., that
attracted 4,000 people.  #Youth today are more interested in servant
events than pizza and volleyball,# he said, noting that those youth
had forgone workshops to pick up trash along 40 miles of beach.
        Anderson relayed a story he heard from that youth gathering.  A
young unchurched boy saw the 4,000 youth cleaning the beach and said
to his grandparents, #If those are church people, then I want to go to
church.#  In closing, he said: #If the state of this church is good
enough for people to say, #I want to be part of that# then we will
accomplish what God put us on this earth to do.#
        Ecumenical and Lutheran guests are present at the convention.
They were formally welcomed on stage July 12.  Representing the
Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod were Pat Schutte, El Cajon, Calif., and
Bev Erdmann, Crookston, Minn.  Jane Van Hoven, Winston Salem, N.C. is
from the Provincial Women#s Board, Southern Province, the Moravian
Church in America.  Carol Lou Phillips, Tallahassee, Fla., secretary
of the Churchwide Coordinating Team represents Presbyterian Women.
Carol Q. Cosby, Indianapolis, is from the Social Action Ministries
Staff, International Women#s Fellowship, Disciples of Christ.
Representing Church Women United are President Susan Mix, Lynchberg,
Va., and Minnesota President Dolores Seashore, Edina.  Gini Peterson
of Stone Mountain, Ga., is here for the Episopal Church.

For information contact: Ann Hafften, Dir., ELCA News Service, (312)
380-2958; Frank Imhoff, Assoc. Dir., (312) 380-2955; Lia Christiansen,
Asst. Dir., (312) 380-2956