From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA GENERAL SECRETARY ANNOUNCES CLIMATE CHANGE CAMPAIGN

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org
Date 17 Jul 1996 18:43:48

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: Shanta M. Bryant, General Board of Church
and Society, United
Methodist Church, 202-488-5630; Wendy McDowell, NCC,
212-870-2227
Internet: carol_fouke.parti@ecunet.org

NCC7/17/96                    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC GENERAL SECRETARY ANNOUNCES CLIMATE CHANGE
PETITION CAMPAIGN

 WASHINGTON, D.C., July 16 ---- "Now is the time
for action, not simply more study," National Council
of Churches (NCC) General Secretary Joan Brown
Campbell said today, announcing a petition campaign
on climate change at a press conference in
Washington, D.C.  The petition signing effort, which
challenges the U.S. government to do more on the
issue, will be carried out through churches of the
NCC's 33 member communions over the next six months.

 According to the Rev. Dr. Campbell, "Caring for
God's Creation is one of the central tasks of
Christians."  After working on the issue since 1988
and meeting with major climate scientists, she said,
"We believe that the voices of scientists and
politicians alone are not sufficient to slow the
climate change that scientists generally agree is
happening."

 Dr. Campbell summarized the likely effects of
climate change as set forth by a World Council of
Churches study committee, including erratic weather
patterns, increased heat-related and infectious
diseases, a rise in the sea level, disrupted
rainfall patterns and even more forest losses and
species extinction.  She stressed, "While we will
all suffer from the consequences of climate change,
it is the poor in the United States and in other
nations who will be most severely affected."

 Because "our government is just not hearing
enough from people who care about the future of
God's good Creation," Dr. Campbell said, "we are
initiating this climate petition to help demonstrate
the concern of our members for faster governmental
actions."  The petition asks the U.S. government to:

*fulfill its pledge at Earth Summit 1992 in
Rio de Janeiro to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to
1990 levels by the year 2000;

*establish firm policy measures and adopt a
binding international agreement that will achieve
greater reductions in emissions after the year 2000;
and

*initiate public debate on the risks of
climate change and increase public participation in
exploring solutions.

 The petition's signatories also will make a
commitment to change their lifestyle by reducing
energy consumption and the resulting greenhouse gas
emissions.  "The Creator who loves the whole earth
calls those of us that are primarily responsible for
accelerated global warming to repent of our
arrogance, greed, carelessness, and inaction that
endangers the future of life on this planet," Dr.
Campbell said.

 The signed petition will be presented to the
U.S. delegation at the United Nations Climate
Convention meetings next spring.

-end-
-0-