From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Mission Capital Grants Program Flooded With Applications, Deadline

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 25 Jul 1996 21:41:52

Extended 25-July-1996

96263        Mission Capital Grants Program Flooded
               With Applications, Deadline Extended

                      by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--A new capital grants program that provides grants of
between $2,500 and $25,000 to churches for property improvements and
equipment has already received applications for four times as much money as
it has to spend, according to the Rev. Frank Beattie, associate director
for evangelism and church development in the National Ministries Division
here.

     And because of printing and mailing delays, the deadline for
applications for the grants has been extended until Sept. 3.

     Beattie told the Presbyterian News Service on July 19 that more than
225 applications have been received since the program was announced in
February.  Those applications seek a total of more than $4.7 million.  A
little more than $1 million is available for the one-time grants, which are
funded by four endowments held by the Presbyterian Foundation.

     "I wouldn't be surprised to see 1,000 applications submitted by the
deadline," Beattie said. "And the evangelism office will be asking the
General Assembly Council (GAC) to explore further sources of funding for
this program," he added.  "The church must find money to respond to the
magnitude of requests that lie way beyond a million dollars."

     The GAC established the Mission Capital Grants program at its February
1996 meeting to enable churches to purchase or improve their capital
assets.  Such assets include buildings and grounds, building code-related
improvements for new programs, major appliances, heating systems and air
conditioning, pianos and organs.  The grants may not be used to purchase
motor vehicles.

     Beattie said the grants program "provides a sign of hope for churches
that may have given up."  While no church that applies is guaranteed a
grant, "the juices get flowing just from going through the process of
envisioning enhanced mission," he said.  He said his office is getting "20
calls or more every day from people who just want to talk about their
church and share their excitement about what is possible with a little
help."

     One message that is clear to him in all this, Beattie continued, "is
that sessions see the connection between their capital needs and evangelism
-- they are talking about widening doorways, installing elevators,
landscaping their grounds."  These improvements, he added, "are part of
cleaning up and fixing up their churches to make them more appealing and
inviting to new people."

     Cold, hard reality sets in once in a while as well.  "We got a call
recently from a church that had requested funds to install a new door into
their sanctuary," Beattie recounted.  "They called back a few days later
and asked,  Can we change our application?  Our roof just fell in!'"

     Beattie said his greatest fear is "unfulfilled expectations."  With
such great demand for such limited funds, many churches are not going to be
awarded Mission Capital Grants.  He said presbytery officials, who must
sign off on the applications, "are trying to soften the potential blow of
not being approved for funding."

     However, Beattie believes that "excitement about the possibilities
will overshadow potential disappointment."  He said numerous churches are
now considering how to enhance their ministries after having given up on
such improvements.  Until such time as more money can be found for the
program, he said, "I believe hope will prevail."