From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

National Black Presbyterian Women Adopt Statement Condemning Burned

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 25 Jul 1996 21:41:55

Black Churches 23-July-96

96255           National Black Presbyterian Women
         Adopt Statement Condemning Burned Black Churches

                         by Julian Shipp

LAKE TAHOE, Nev.--Responding to the epidemic burning of African American
churches nationwide, the newly organized National Black Presbyterian Women
(NBPW) adopted a statement of concern during its June 21-23 meeting,
condemning the fires and urging the appropriate agencies to continue to
take action to stop the arson attacks.

     Nearly 40 black churches have been burned since January 1995, with 25
of the blazes determined as arson to date, according to the Center for
Democratic Renewal (CDR), an Atlanta-based human and civil rights
organization.

      Meeting in conjunction with the Annual Retreat of Presbyterian Women
in northern and southern California, 150 NBPW members discussed the church
burnings and other issues pertinent to the lives of African Americans and
black Presbyterian women.

     In the one-page statement, the group calls upon church leaders to
"speak upon the ashes" as anti-slavery activist Sojourner Truth did, and to
"continue to speak out with love and compassion against the evil forces
which would try to hold back God's people."

     The statement calls on the Justice Department, the FBI, ATF and local
law enforcement agencies to aggressively investigate the church fires. It
also asks that particular entities cease investigating church leaders as
the perpetrators of the blazes and casting defamations against black church
leadership.

     According to Amy Sweet, NBPW moderator, the church is highly respected
historically in the African American community, and the sanctuary offers a
solace to all.

     "[The burning of churches] is foreign to our very being," Sweet said.
"It is the church that has provided our nurture in times of trouble."

     The NBPW statement praises the efforts of the CDR, the National
Council of Churches, the Southern Poverty Law Center and other
organizations that have been working to bring the church burnings to the
public's attention. NBPW also expressed gratitude to the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.) for its pastoral concern to the victimized congregations
and assistance through Presbyterian World Service.

     "We acknowledge the present climate in this country which gives
credence to racist behavior and provokes white supremacist groups and
individuals to firebomb African American churches," Sweet said. "We will
continue to use our resources to engage the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
and the ecumenical community in justice issues and thereby help to create a
climate of acceptance of all people.

     "As people of faith, we stand by the African American church leaders
and offer our support," Sweet said. "May this test of our faith bring us
closer in these special days ahead."

     President Clinton signed into law July 3 a bill expanding federal
jurisdiction over church burnings and strengthening federal penalties for
such attacks. Congress approved the legislation June 6 and 27.
 .
     The legislation doubles the maximum prison term for church arson to 20
years and extends the statute of limitations from five to seven years. The
measure envisions additional funding for federal law enforcement agencies
designed to help them train local and state authorities in investigating
suspected arson at churches. It also authorizes $10 million in federal loan
guarantees for reconstruction of arson-gutted, underinsured churches.

     In further efforts to fight arson, the Federal Emergency Management
Agency has launched an arson-prevention initiative to protect houses of
worship. Up to $45 million in public funding has been allocated for the
plan. A toll-free telephone number (1-888-603-3100) has been established
for information on arson prevention.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073