From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WCC Asks Members for Help as Financial Crisis Continues

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 25 Jul 1996 21:42:18

23-July-96

96256    WCC Asks Members for Help as Financial Crisis Continues

                         by Edmund Doogue
                  Ecumenical News International

GENEVA--The World Council of Churches is facing a "serious financial
situation," and "drastic action" is needed to achieve a balanced budget for
1997, according to the organization's general secretary, Konrad Raiser.

     The financial crisis has already resulted in some job cuts at the
WCC's headquarters in Geneva and may affect the programs and services of
the WCC, which is the world's biggest ecumenical organization, with a wide
range of dialogue, development and aid programs and services.

     Raiser, a German theologian and WCC general secretary since 1993, has
expressed deep concern about the organization's financial position, and has
made "a specific request" to the WCC's 330 member churches around the world
to provide cash to help solve the crisis and to pay for severance packages
for staff who have to leave the Council because of the crisis.

     At the beginning of this year, the WCC had 276 staff members.  Because
of the financial crisis, ... about 42 staff positions are being cut.

     In a letter released to member churches with the WCC's 1995 financial
report today, Raiser states: "Income is no longer sufficient to pay for the
present activities in which the Council is engaged."

     Pointing out that the WCC's Finance Committee and its governing body,
the Central Committee, require balanced budgets for 1997 and subsequent
years,  Raiser says: "I am taking active steps to review both the programs
and services of the Council, and to bring them into line with anticipated
resources." Sadly, he says, more staff cuts -- beyond the 20 percent
reduction in 1991/2 -- are needed.

     A 1995 financial report shows the WCC's total income in 1995 was 80.4
million Swiss francs ($63.8 million), 9.3 million less than in 1994.
Expenditure for 1995 was 101 million Swiss francs, compared to 114 million
in 1994.

     "We are seeking contributions immediately for our Staff Restructuring
Fund to help us meet the cost of providing a proper separation package for
staff who are having to leave, ..."  Raiser says in his letter. About 2
million Swiss francs ($1.58 million) are needed, he says.

     "Secondly, we are asking all member churches and supporting
organizations to make a very special effort to increase their regular,
general (undesignated) contributions to the Council [for] this current
year."

     One of the WCC's sources of income -- membership contributions by
churches -- amounted to only 6.27 million Swiss francs in 1995.  The
contributions -- which fund the WCC's administration and services -- need
to reach at least 10 million a year "if the Council is to be able to
maintain anything like the services the churches and agencies have come to
expect of it," Raiser says.  "The level of support has remained static for
many years. ... Sad to say, there [is] a large number of churches [that],
despite the decisions of the Central Committee last year regarding criteria
for membership, do not so far make even a minimum contribution in support
of our work."

     In 1995, only 156 member churches paid membership contributions.  Many
churches, including some of the biggest churches, do not pay any membership
contributions.

     Explaining the financial causes of the WCC's problems, Raiser says
that after "encouraging results" in the early 1990s, the Council, like many
other organizations, suffered a reversal of its financial situation in
1994. This was largely a result of general economic conditions, a very
strong Swiss franc and because some funding partners were themselves
"finding times difficult" financially and had to freeze or even reduce
their support.

     "A year ago, we thought that we were in one of those periodic
fluctuations [that] would correct itself before long. We believed that our
reserves were sufficient to tide us over the difficulty.  You will see from
the enclosed report that such a belief was overoptimistic; the decline in
income has been great and lasted longer than anticipated, and shows no sign
of improvement. By the end of this year, despite strict expenditure control
and savings, the general funds and reserves available will have been used
up."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073