From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Churches Urge U.S. Action on Environment

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 26 Jul 1996 00:02:46

25-July-1996

96262        Churches Urge U.S. Action on Environment

                     by Religion News Service

WASHINGTON--The National Council of Churches (NCC) and a dozen Protestant
and Orthodox bodies July 16  called for greater U.S. leadership in reducing
the emission of "greenhouse gases," which many scientists believe are
changing the earth's climate.

     "These are profound issues of global justice," the Rev. Joan Brown
Campbell, general secretary of the NCC, told a Washington news conference.

     "While we will all suffer from the consequences of climate change, it
is the poor in the United States and in other nations who will be most
severely affected and who will have the least recourse."

     The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) was represented at the news
conference by the Rev. Bernadine McRipley, associate for health and
environment issues in the PC(USA)'s Washington Office, and the Rev. William
Somplatsky-Jarman, associate for environmental justice in its National
Ministries Division.

     Climate change, or global warming, is caused by the emission of
so-called greenhouse gases, especially carbon dioxide, which are released
into the atmosphere through the burning of fossil fuels such as coal and
oil in electricity generation, heating and automobiles.

     Many experts believe the climate changes will increase the volatility
of weather patterns, which could disrupt agriculture and magnify the
effects of storms and floods.  Some climate changes can cause
micro-organism proliferation, and in turn, health problems. [Climate
change] could also affect forest ecosystems and raise sea levels, which
would impact low-lying coastal areas.

     At the United Nations-sponsored Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro in
1992, the United States, along with other governments, signed the
Convention on Climate Change in which the countries agreed, as a first
step, to stabilize greenhouse gas emissions at their 1990 level by the year
2000.

     However, Campbell said the United States is not acting aggressively
enough to meet its commitment.

     "We have met with members of the administration and members of
Congress on this issue to express our dissatisfaction with the United
States' slow progress on limiting the release of gases that cause global
warming into the atmosphere," she said.  "We have concluded that our
government is just not hearing enough from people who care about the future
of God's good creation."

     In response, the NCC and other church agencies are mounting a petition
campaign to urge the government to meet the Earth Summit obligation and to
"support, not resist, adopting a binding international agreement ... to
achieve greater reductions ... after the year 2000."

     The petition campaign is part of an international effort spearheaded
by the World Council of Churches (WCC).

     Signers of the Convention on Climate Change are currently meeting in
Geneva to draw up an agreement that would set reduced levels of greenhouse
gas emissions for the period after 2000.

     "The threat of climate change touches the religious mind in a special
way," the Rev. Sam Kobia, director of the WCC's Justice, Peace and the
Integrity of Creation Unit, told the international meeting in Geneva July
12.

     "It reminds us of our fundamental dependence upon creation," he said
in testimony before the U.N.-sponsored meeting.  "Nature, we believe, is a
gift of God.  It must not and cannot be dealt with as if it were our
property."

     WCC officials said they expect petitions to be circulating in 15
industrialized nations by September.

   Statement on International Climate Change Petition Campaign
              by the Rev. William Somplatsky-Jarman
                July 16, 1996 -- Washington, D.C.

     "Global climate change remains a serious challenge facing humankind.

     "Six years have elapsed since the General Assembly of the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.) first addressed climate change and called for the United
States and the international community to undertake significant actions in
response to the warnings of impending climate change.

     "Two developments make the prophetic insight of the 1990 General
Assembly even more compelling.  First, scientific consensus through the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has concluded that human activity
is playing a role in the climate changes we observe today.  Second, actions
by the international community to reduce emissions of  greenhouse gases'
are falling short of minimum targets.  We risk more severe changes through
our feeble actions.

     "The 1990 policy urged several steps which remain valid today.  First,
the United States should be a leader in reducing emissions and shifting to
renewable sources of energy.  Second, our government should support efforts
to strengthen the ability of the international community to monitor and
project trends in climate change, and to make broad environmental and
social assessments.

     "A very important third step would be to  work through the United
Nations and appropriate diplomatic channels to reach firm international
agreements for steady and substantial reduction of the gases causing
climate change ...'

     "Other measures include increased research and development of
energy-efficient technologies and renewable resources, greater
international cooperation for technology transfer, and stronger fuel
economy and emission standards for cars, buses and trucks as well as better
standards and incentives for efficiency improvements in lighting, heating,
air-conditioning, appliances, etc.  Support for public transit is also
encouraged.

     "As the public grows in its awareness of the reality and implications
of climate change, we believe support for such measures will continue to
galvanize as well.  In fact, we believe that there is significant public
sentiment for stronger action now.  We support the International Climate
Change Petition Campaign initiated by the World Council of Churches as a
concrete way to demonstrate that concern."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073