From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Re: United Methodist Daily News note 3101

From owner-umethnews@ecunet.org
Date 27 Aug 1996 18:40:23

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS" by SUSAN PEEK on Aug. 11, 1991 at 13:58 Eastern,
about FULL TEXT RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (3143 notes).

Note 3140 modified by UMNS on Aug. 27, 1996 at 16:47 Eastern (2524
characters).

[BTITLE: Native American Plan Task Force
SEARCH: United Methodist, Native American Comprehensive Plan,
native, ministries, churches, director

Produced by United Methodist News Service, official news agency of
the United Methodist Church, with offices in Nashville, Tenn., New
York, and Washington.

CONTACT:  Ralph E. Baker                       426(10-34-71){3140}
          Nashville, Tenn.  (615) 742-5470           Aug. 27, 1996

Task force plans for 21st century
Native American ministries

by Ginny Underwood*

     GREEN BAY, Wis. (UMNS) -- Members of the United Methodist
Native American Comprehensive Plan task force approved the job
description for a full-time executive director to administer and
implement task force plans at their final meeting of the 1993-96
quadrennium here Aug. 22-25..
     "We are accepting applications for this position through Oct.
18," said the Rev. Sam Wynn, NACP chairperson.  "We hope to have
the position staffed by Jan. 1, 1997."
     According to the personnel committee, the executive director
is chief administrator of the NACP and is responsible for its
programs.  "We are willing to negotiate with applicants on the
location of the NACP office," Wynn said.

     Task force members prepared for and envisioned 21st century
churches and ministries for Native Americans during the session.
     "When you plan for the next quadrennium, ... imagine what you
want our Native American churches and ministries to look like in
the year 2000," said the Rev. Marvin B. Abrams, coordinator of the
NACP.
     The 1996 United Methodist General Conference approved
continuation of the comprehensive plan, which focuses on
congregational development, leadership development, Native
American spirituality and creating a churchwide Native American
presence.
     Major areas of emphasis for the plan during the next four
years include: leadership development for Native American youth;
development of curriculum exploring Native identity, culture and
values; Native American spiritual dialogues; and empowerment of
Native American women through a national consultation.
     Interested applicants for the executive director position may
apply by contacting the Rev. Harold E. Wright, (513) 227-9400.
     The first NACP meeting of the 1997-2000 quadrennium is
scheduled for Feb. 7-9, 1997, in Yuma, Ariz.
                              #  #  #
     * Underwood is director of the Native American Office of
Communication, part of United Methodist Communications in
Nashville, Tenn.