From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Partner Churches Respond to Helms-Burton Act

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 07 Aug 1996 19:00:05

1-Aug.-1996

96282      Partner Churches Respond to Helms-Burton Act

                          by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--A decision by President Bill Clinton to allow U.S.
citizens to sue foreign companies profiting from investment in properties
confiscated by the Castro government -- but to suspend the filing of those
lawsuits for six months -- is drawing everything from faint hope to strong
wrath from the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)'s partners in Canada, Mexico
and other Latin American countries.

     In fact, a group of Cuban Presbyterians in Miami is one of the few
coalitions of Christians with much good to say about Congress' goal of
economically isolating Fidel Castro further by threatening legal action
against Cuba's trading partners and seizing their U.S. assets as
settlements.

     The core of the Helms-Burton Act, Title III, allows current U.S.
citizens to bring suit in federal courts here against the Cuban government
or against foreign companies investing in property that U.S.  citizens have
claimed since 1959.  It was developed after Cuban fighter planes shot down
two U.S.  civilian aircraft off Cuba's coast last February.

     But while the European Union and the Canadian and Mexican governments
are balking at attempts to impose domestic law internationally, church
partners are responding to Clinton's decision differently. "Christendom in
Canada," as described by one Canadian Presbyterian, is signing up unions,
churches and development organizations to call for a tourist boycott of
Florida to pressure officials there to push the president to relent, while
churches in other nations are hoping the suspension will simply be
reinstated when the six months are up.

     "We Canadians like going to Florida.  We spent $1.3 billion in Florida
last year. ... We'd like to go to Florida again this year.  But unless
Clinton waives the Helms-Burton law, we'll change our plans," said Marjorie
Ross, the Presbyterian Church of Canada's (PCC) partnership liaison with
the Presbyterian Reformed Church in Cuba (PRCC), who was loosely
paraphrasing language in a press release from Oxfam/Canada, a developmental
agency, pushing the boycott.  She added, "Boy, this really makes people
mad."

     Canadians intend to go through with the boycott -- despite the
six-month suspension -- since the overall act already has gone into effect.
The Presbyterian Church of Canada has signed on.

     What gripes Canadians -- and Mexicans -- most are what they call
bullying tactics behind the bill, which they say will only harm the weakest
in Cuba's already failing economy, and the double standard the U.S. applies
only to Cuba's kind of communism.  "Our focus," says the PCC's Lee
McKenna-duCharme, "is the well-being of the people of Cuba.

     "This deepens the embargo and puts a chill effect on investment," she
said, pointing out that the U.S. feels comfortable calling trade with
communist China "engagement." She calls the language change a hypocritical
inconsistency that conveniently opens a billion-person Chinese market for
U.S. goods.

     The Rev. Abner Lopez of the National Presbyterian Church of Mexico
says his country's evangelical churches worry about double talk in the
U.S.'s relationship with Cuba.  The U.S. has backed dictators in other
countries, yet it remains ferocious about bringing Castro down -- while
continuing to impose cruel measures on Cuba's people.

     "The people of every country should be able to make their own
decisions," Lopez told the Presbyterian News Service, without holding back
his discomfort with the resolve of Cuba's communist government.  "But [like
Mexico's president, Ernesto Zedillo], we consider it interventionist when
one country makes laws that affect another country. ...

     "I see the six-month wait as good," Lopez said, hoping for
reconsideration of the measure. "There's time for Americans to think more
before they actually do [this]."

     Retired minister Martin A¤orga of Miami, who was pastor of the First
Spanish Presbyterian Church there for 28 years, says Cuban-Americans view
the wait with some anxiety, conscious that the president's political
manuevering allows him to say during his reelection campaign that he backs
cracking down on Castro while suspending actual action on Title III of the
bill.

     "But at this moment," A¤orga said, "the only thing we can do is wait.
 ... After that, we'll decide what we're going to do.  If he signs the law,
we'll give him our support.

     "If not, we'll find other means " he said, saying that civil
disobedience is not out of the question in Miami's Cuban community. "It's a
good law," argues A¤orga, who said Cuban-Americans are motivated by
injustice here, not by financial settlements any lawsuits might render,
since the Internal Revenue Service already allows Cubans to deduct lost
revenue from abandoned businesses.

     "Castro nationalized businesses that belonged to American people ...
and never paid compensation.  Now he's selling those properties to people
who want to invest -- the same property Castro took from the owners without
compensation," A¤orga said, insisting that Cuba's prerevolutionary
telephone and gas companies, as well as some sugar mills, were U.S. owned.

     But it is exactly such old rancor between the U.S. and Cuba that the
Latin American Council of Churches in Quito, Ecuador, deplores in its March
letter to both Castro and Clinton.  It condemns both Cuba's extremism in
February's plane shootings and repeated U.S. violations of international
law, i.e., provisions within the Helms-Burton Act and the allowance of
aircraft with hostile purposes to travel to Cuba from the U.S.

     The letter, signed by the council's president, the Rev. Walter
Altmann, says, "Our interest in addressing you these lines, your
Excellencies, is not to emit a technical judgment we are not qualified for,
nor a political one, which belongs to other bodies, but to respectfully and
fraternally call on both parts, so that wisdom and good will override
passion, and electoral or political interests."

     A spokesperson for the World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) in
Geneva -- which has eight member churches in the U.S., including the
PC(U.S.A.), and one member church in Cuba, the PRCC -- was much more blunt.

     "From outside the U.S.A., the Helms-Burton Act looks like the latest
attempt by a superpower to bludgeon a small and impoverished island into
submission, and President Clinton's ambivalent attitude looks like a
calculated attempt to woo Cuban-American voters," the spokesperson said.
"We don't think this is the way to conduct foreign policy.

     "For 36 years, successive U.S. administrations have tried to bring
down the Castro government by economic means.  It hasn't worked.  If
anything, it has probably delayed changes toward greater pluralism and
democracy in Cuba.  We find it very hard to understand," he concluded, "why
the U.S.A.  is still fighting a cold war against Cuba, when everywhere else
the cold war has been officially declared over."

     According to the Rev. Oden Marichal, president of the Cuban Council of
Churches in Havana, the U.S.'s hard line is only damaging its own
international credibility by trying to force American law on businesses'
operations overseas -- and it is only strengthening Cuban patriotism.

     "People are feeling more Cuban now than before," he told the
Presbyterian News Service, adding that Cubans have heard some countries are
lining up countersuits if Title III is enacted.  He's heard, for instance,
that some Canadians intend to sue for property lost during the American
Revolution.

     The PC(USA) was among the U.S. churches urging the president to
suspend implementation of Title III.

     Similar legislation imposing sanctions on individuals or foreign
companies investing heavily in Iran or Libya passed Congress July 23 --
despite threats of retaliation by countries doing business in Libya and
Iran.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073