From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Assembly Approves Budget Cut That Will Eliminate

From PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG
Date 07 Aug 1996 19:39:52

1-Aug.-1996

96276    Assembly Approves Budget Cut That Will Eliminate
            Family And Single Adult Ministry Position

                         by Julian Shipp

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--The 208th General Assembly (1996) has approved a budget
cut in the Congregational Ministries Division (CMD) that will eliminate the
Family and Single Adult Ministries position held by the Rev. C. Raymond
Trout and end the Presbyterian Mariners' financial agreement with the
denomination. The change is effective Jan. 1, 1997.

     However, the Mariners Covenant Relationship, established between the
division and the organization in 1990, remains intact and, it is hoped,
will be enhanced in the future, according to officials.

     Presbyterian Mariners is the only family ministry-focused organization
in the PC(USA). For nearly 70 years, the organization has enriched married
couples and their families through a variety of programs at the
congregational, regional and national levels. In more recent years, it has
also affirmed and incorporated increasing numbers of single persons into
its ministries.

     Compelled to balance its $18 million budget, the CMD trimmed its
expenditures by $260,000.  The cut that eliminated Trout's position, the
largest single expenditure, is $57,000.

     Larry and Carolyn Gabbard of Arvada, Colo., executive secretaries of
Presbyterian Mariners, told the Presbyterian News Service that they regret
the General Assembly acted to eliminate the Office of Family and Single
Adult Ministries, since family ministry remains a national priority of
their organization.

      According to the Gabbards, only about half of all American children
live with both biological parents (25 percent live with a single parent, 21
percent live in blended families and 3.7 million live in households headed
by grandparents).  Moreover, about half of all first marriages end in
divorce, and less than one fourth of today's marriages are supported by one
wage earner. It takes two wage earners, in today's economy, to keep up with
the cost of living, they said.

     On the positive side, Mrs. Gabbard said, Commissioners' Resolution
96-2 on continuing support for family and single adult ministries was
approved by the Assembly -- but without financial implications. Moreover,
she said, the Mariners organization is in dialogue with CMD officials to
discuss ways to nurture its relationship with the church, and the Mariners
group will discuss the issue further during its annual meeting and family
conference, July 28-Aug. 1 at Las Cruces, N.M.

     Mr. Gabbard said confusion reigned in March after it was announced by
the division that Trout's job was scheduled for termination. In accordance
with their financial agreement, the Mariners have given $20,000 annually
($115,000 to date) toward Trout's staff position in family and single adult
ministry.

      But due to a communication snafu, Mr. Gabbard said, it somehow got
conveyed that the entire covenant relationship between the Mariners and the
division was being severed.

      "The covenant will continue, but the [financial] partnership through
which we have helped fund the Office of Single and Family Adult Ministries
has been eliminated along with the office," Mr.  Gabbard said.
                   Set sail toward the horizon

     Mr. Gabbard said that what's now being proposed by the division is the
creation of a planning team that would meet several times a year to address
family ministry issues and plan responses. Under the proposal, the Mariners
would use the $20,000 now being used to help support the family ministries
office to fund their costs of participating in the meetings.

     "The $20,000 that we had set aside for 1997 may be spent over two or
three years on this sort of planning team activity," Mr. Gabbard said. "But
the Mariners board of directors has to decide just what financial
obligations they're going to take on."

     The Rev. Ed Craxton, the CMD's associate director for Christian
education, said the division desires to maintain its covenant relationship
with the Mariners.

     "We are in conversation with the Mariners and we do not want our
relationship to be severed," Craxton said. "We do want to remain in
covenant with them."

     The Rev. Eunice Poethig, the CMD's director who proposed the budget
cut, said the decision to eliminate the program was not made hastily or
easily.

      "We looked carefully," Poethig said. "We worked up until the General
Assembly Council meeting in February, hoping that we would be able to find
an alternate way to make the cuts."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073