From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

PC(USA) Leaders Agree to "Covenant of Leadership"

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 14 Aug 1996 12:22:43

14-August-1996

96294   PC(USA) Leaders Agree to "Covenant of Leadership"

                      by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--Thirteen Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) leaders -- the chief
executives and chairpersons of major General Assembly entities -- have
signed a statement of cooperation designed to improve the sometimes
tattered relationships among some of them.

     The group, called together July 31-Aug. 1 at the invitation of General
Assembly moderator the Rev. John Buchanan and stated clerk the Rev. Clifton
Kirkpatrick, also agreed to meet regularly "to promote the health of the
whole church and to deal with interagency and churchwide concerns."

     Conflicts between various General Assembly entities have erupted
several times in the past year and have been widely reported in the church
press.  Many believe the internecine squabbling contributed to the recent
Assembly's decision not to confirm outgoing General Assembly Council (GAC)
executive director the Rev. James D. Brown to a second four-year term.

     In their covenant, the leaders agreed to "share one another's
successes and challenges," to deal with each other "directly, honestly,
openly, respectfully and with civility," and to "pray for each other by
name."

     The group also unanimously agreed to complete four General Assembly
actions that were placed in jeopardy on its final day when funds were not
budgeted for them.  Two of the participants in the meeting -- the GAC and
the Office of the General Assembly -- pledged to find the $201,000
necessary to fund

          a consultant to review the GAC executive director's office, the
Corporate and
          Administrative Services office and the relationship between the
GAC and other
          Assembly entities (an approved recommendation of the General
Assembly's
          Quadrennial Review Committee)
          a special committee to improve middle governing body
relationships with the General
          Assembly (another approved Review Committee recommendation)
          a task force to look at partnership in the allocation of
restricted funds
          a task force to study the relationships between the denomination
and Presbyterian
          organizations that are not otherwise related to the structures of
the church.

     The full text of the August 1 statement:

     "We, the elected chairpersons and moderators and the executive
officers of the General Assembly Council, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
Foundation, Board of Pensions, Presbyterian Publishing Corporation,
Presbyterian Investment and Loan Program, and the Committee on the Office
of the General Assembly, have met together for 24 hours at the invitation
of the moderator of the 208th General Assembly (1996) and the stated clerk.

     "We have shared the challenges and opportunities which face each of
our agencies.

     "We have discussed ways we can work together and support one another.

     "We have talked together about ways we can serve our church in
implementing important decisions made by the 208th General Assembly.

     "We covenant together to

          affirm that each of us and agencies we serve are integral parts
of the body which is the
          Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and that we each share one another's
successes and
          challenges
          deal with one another directly, honestly, openly, respectfully
and with civility,
          attempting to reflect in our work together the reconciling love
of God in Jesus Christ
          share the content of this covenant with our respective boards and
staffs
          pray for one another by name in our personal devotions and by
agency name when our
          respective agencies worship.

     " For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the
members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ.' (1
Cor. 12:12)."

Youngil Cho, chair, GAC
The Rev. Frank Diaz, acting executive director, GAC
James R. Bellatti, chairperson, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Foundation
Larry D. Carr, president, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Foundation
D. Eugene Sibery, chair, Board of Pensions
John J. Detterick, president, Board of Pensions
Price H. Gwynn III, board chairperson, Presbyterian Publishing Corporation
Davis Perkins, president and publisher, Presbyterian Publishing Corporation
Alvin N. Puryear, board chairperson, Presbyterian Investment and Loan
Program The Rev. John M. Coffin, interim president, Presbyterian Investment
and Loan Program The Rev. J. Oscar McCloud, moderator, Committee on the
Office of the General Assembly The Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick, stated clerk
of the General Assembly The Rev. John M. Buchanan, moderator of the 208th
General Assembly (1996)

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073