From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Russians brainstorm on alcohol

From owner-umethnews@ecunet.org
Date 04 Oct 1996 15:22:21

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS" by SUSAN PEEK on Aug. 11, 1991 at 13:58 Eastern,
about FULL TEXT RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (3212 notes).

Note 3206 by UMNS on Oct. 4, 1996 at 15:24 Eastern (4129 characters).

SEARCH:   Russia, alcohol, drug abuse, Minor, SPARV
Produced by United Methodist News Service, official news agency of
the United Methodist Church, with offices in Nashville, Tenn., New
York, and Washington.

Contact:  Joretta Purdue                         492(10-71B){3206}
          Washington, D.C.  (202) 546-8722            Oct. 4, 1996

Russian United Methodists brainstorm
ways to confront alcohol, drug abuse

by Shanta M. Bryant*

     MOSCOW (UMNS) -- In their first conference to consider the
effects of alcohol and drugs, Russian United Methodists heard
their bishop call on them to  break the tradition of their culture
or at least to "tame such tradition."
     Speaking in Moscow Sept. 20, Bishop Ruediger R. Minor of the
Eurasia Area warned that if churches fail to act effectively on
this issue, they will witness a gradual worsening of the substance
abuse problem.
     "We are dealing with more than 1000 years of these
[alcoholic] habits," said Minor. "So the question is ... how can
the Christian community contribute to 'domesticate' the culture?"
     Some 20 participants, including recovering alcoholics,
doctors, pastors and lay leaders, from various regions in Russia
shared suggestions and concerns during a two-day brainstorming
session to develop ways that the United Methodist Church could
respond to the country's alcohol and drug crisis.
     The meeting, the first held by Russian United Methodists to
discuss the issue, was sponsored by the United Methodist Special
Program on Substance Abuse and Related Violence (SPARV), a
churchwide program reauthorized by this year's General Conference.
SPARV's coordinator is Jeri Scott, a staff member of the Board of
Church and Society based in Washington.
     In Russia, the consumption of pure alcohol has steadily
increased from 10.7 liters or 11.3 quarts per inhabitant in 1987
to 12 liters or about 12.7 quarts in 1992, according to a
University of Wales study. The study also revealed that deaths
officially attributed to alcohol poisoning soared from 117,000 to
262,000.
     "Drinking alcohol is a part of our culture," said Orlov
Alexander, a Russian psychiatrist. "We have to help people to live
a new life. We must give support and help each other."
     Some suggested that the best way to confront the issue is by
educating children and youth about the hazards of alcohol in order
to thwart the cycle of alcoholism in families.
     "The best way to fight alcoholism is to target women and
children," said Oksana Petrova, pastor of Holy Trinity United
Methodist Church in St. Petersburg. She suggested developing a
summer camp for children, so they can have a "healthy attitude and
stay out of danger."
     Alexander Kaminin, a medical doctor from the Russian village
of Iliok-Koshari, noted that in the aftermath of Communism,
recreational centers in rural areas, which previously were funded
by the Soviet government, have been closed.  "We must revive
cultural centers in rural areas, so that there will be computers
and libraries for children," he said.
     Discussion also centered around the various treatments
available for people addicted to alcohol and drugs.
Traditionally, many Russian medical centers have treated substance
abusers through detoxification and psychiatry. However, with this
treatment relapses often occur within three months in one-third of
the cases, according to an American Academy of Addiction
Psychiatry report.
     Dotsie Graham of United Methodist Renewal Center in Memphis,
Tenn., who served as a resource person, noted that American
treatment centers frequently use group therapy.  "We remove the
addictive substance and replace it with something else, which
could be spirituality," she said.  "We like to give patients
coping skills to deal with their feelings without going to drugs.
In other words, we treat mentally, physically and spiritually."

                               #  #  #
     * Bryant is associate editor of Christian Social Action and
program director of communications for the United Methodist Board
of Church and Society.