From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Alguire Speaks at Rome Event

From owner-umethnews@ecunet.org
Date 12 Oct 1996 03:29:02

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS" by SUSAN PEEK on Aug. 11, 1991 at 13:58 Eastern,
about FULL TEXT RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (3224 notes).

Note 3223 by UMNS on Oct. 11, 1996 at 15:31 Eastern (3141 characters).

SEARCH: Alguire, interfaith, Rome, World Methodist Council, women,
children, peace
Produced by United Methodist News Service, official news agency of
the United Methodist Church, with offices in Nashville, Tenn., New
York, and Washington.

CONTACT:  Thomas S. McAnally                    509(10-71 b){3223}
          Nashville, Tenn. (615) 742-5470            Oct. 14, 1996

WMC President Alguire
speaks at Rome event

                 by United Methodist News Service

     In one of her first addresses since being elected president
of the World Methodist Council, laywoman Frances Alguire of New
Buffalo, Mich., challenged participants at an interfaith gathering
in Rome to work for a new century when women can participate "more
fully and freely without men feeling threatened by their
participation."
     "God chose a woman to carry the Son of God for nine months,"
she observed.  "I believe we should not deny women the opportunity
to share the word of God."
     She also stressed the importance of helping children grow and
develop spiritually, physically and mentally, and called for a
"conscious reawakening (where) goodness, peace and love may be
shown through each person's thoughts, words and deeds."
     Alguire was elected president of the World Methodist Council
in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in August.  She is the first female and
lay president in the organization's 110-year history.
     She was one of 300 individuals from Christian churches and
other world religions to gather here Oct. 7-10 for the 10th
International Meeting for Peace hosted by the Roman Catholic
Community of St. Egidio. Theme of the event was "Peace is the Name
of God."
     Regarding the need for peace, Alguire said, "All too often
violence, crime, greed and war cause persons to be caught up in
human destruction, rather than promoting peace."
     Reflecting on the role of women, she said, "For too long,
secular and societal groups have denied the full participation of
women.  In many areas, women are still considered inferior
products of God's creation."
     A growing number of unwanted children are joining the
thousands already here and struggling for food, shelter and the
basic necessities of life, she noted.  "What does this say to
those of us called to be peacemakers?"
     Noting the differences among conference participants, Alguire
affirmed the importance of developing "mutual friendships,
characterized by genuine love and selflessness that allows us to
know one another and to acknowledge our differences, and yet
accept one another."
     "As we work together, peace and understanding will spread,"
she continued.  "We will not be a lone voice speaking out as a
humanist for peace and justice in our community.  We are called to
work together, to ensure that human beings enjoy a peaceful
atmosphere in their daily lives.  As we do this, we will find the
peace God desires for us in our own lives."
     The World Methodist Council represents 32 million members in
108 countries of the world.  Headquarters are at Lake Junaluska,
N.C.
                              #  #  #