From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Launches On-line 'Village Life'

From owner-umethnews@ecunet.org
Date 22 Oct 1996 19:46:16

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS" by SUSAN PEEK on Aug. 11, 1991 at 13:58 Eastern,
about FULL TEXT RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (3250 notes).

Note 3247 by UMNS on Oct. 22, 1996 at 15:33 Eastern (2923 characters).

SEARCH: Internet, on-line, electronic, magazine, news, features,
'Village Life'
Produced by United Methodist News Service, official news agency of
the United Methodist Church, with offices in Nashville, Tenn., New
York, and Washington.

CONTACT:  Ralph E. Baker                         533(10-71B){3247}
          Nashville, Tenn. (615) 742-5470            Oct. 22, 1996

United Methodists launch
Christian on-line news magazine

                 by United Methodist News Service

     The first on-line Christian news magazine will be launched on
the Internet Oct. 21 by a United Methodist clergyman.
     Village Life is being created by Kaleidoscope Ministries
Ltd., a non-profit ecumenical communication service based in
Ellicott City, Md.  The Rev. Jim Skillington, former director of
communications for the Baltimore-Washington United Methodist
Annual Conference is executive director of Kaleidoscope Ministries
and publisher of the on-line magazine.
     In each edition, the cover story of Village Life will examine
a social issue from various perspectives.  Readers will be invited
to comment on the theme issue in on-line newsgroups and forums.
     The first edition's cover story will explore the theme
"Headlines of Fear."  The overview article will be followed by
five other features exploring various aspects of the topic.
     "We believe Christians have a responsibility to become part
of the solution to some of the most difficult challenges facing
society today," said Skillington. He explained, "If there is a
bias in our coverage, it will be in our attempt to answer the
question, 'Where is the hope in this topic?'"
     The magazine also will list organizations actively involved
in ministry related to the week's cover story.
     "We hope that our news and feature coverage will challenge
these on-line Christians to become actively involved in local
ministries that will make a difference in our society today," said
Skillington.
     A network of several dozen news reporters will be among
contributors to the new on-line magazine. "We have been able to
attract some of the most talented freelance reporters in the U.S.
and Canada to cover these issues," said Melissa Lauber, the theme
artist for the magazine.
     The homepage for "Village Life" depicts a diverse,
intergenerational village with icons of buildings and people.
Clicking on different icons accesses the various departments -- up
to 75 different features or columns. News articles will be found
at the newstand; online discussions will be at the cafe; value-
based film and contemporary music reviews will be at the carousel;
and the village path will feature Christian travel destinations,
mission trips and a list of retreats sponsored by religious
organizations.
     To access "Village Life," the Internet address is:
http://www.villagelife.org.
                              #  #  #