From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Future looking brighter for Phillips University

From DISCNEWS.parti@ecunet.org
Date 02 Oct 1996 14:06:52

September 13, 1996
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Cliff_Willis.parti@ecunet.org

96b-78

     ENID, Okla. (DNS) -- Higher-than-projected fall
enrollment, along with positive results from a five-month
fund-raising campaign are making the future brighter for
Phillips University.

     The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)-related
institution has enrolled 621 students for the 1996-1997 fall
term. Last spring, university officials projected the
overall headcount at 550.

     "These numbers are more than we could have ever hoped
for last April," said Michael Sohn, Phillips' public
relations director.

     Fund-raising efforts have garnered $1.8 million so far.
Phillips officials seek to raise $8.5 million to rescue the
institution from financial difficulty.

     Financial problems at the private institution nearly
led to a successful attempt last spring to make the campus
part of Oklahoma's state university system. Last-minute
contributions from alumni and churches, however, kept that
from happening.

     Disciples congregations gave $235,000 to the university
-- double the amount given during any previous five-month
period, according to President G. Curtis Jones. He assumed
the Phillips presidency in April.

     Disciples of Christ congregations are being asked to
provide $1 million toward the $8.5 million funding goal,
according to Jones. More than $700,000 remains to reach that
objective.

     The university also has broadened its donor base among
Phillips alumni, said Jones. Four hundred new contributors
have given money since April. In addition, the Enid business
community has increased its support for the church-related
institution.

     "I feel good about where we are right now," Jones said.
"We're in good shape for the shape we're in."

                           - 30 -

DISCNEWS - inbox for Disciples News Service, Office of Communication,
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), PO Box 1986 Indianapolis, IN 46206,
tele. (317) 635-3100, (DISCNEWS) Wilma Shuffitt, News and Information
Assistant; (CLIFF WILLIS) Cliff Willis, Director of News and Information;
(CURT MILLER) Executive Director