From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

New School an Ecumenical Effort

From ELCANEWS@ELCASCO.ELCA.ORG
Date 03 Oct 1996 13:57:10

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

October 4, 1996

NEW SCHOOL AN ECUMENICAL EFFORT (79 lines)
96-021-062-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- "We have heard parents' desire for a safe,
academically challenging school for their children that
reinforces the finest models of a diversity of cultures and
builds on a foundation of discipline, and moral values," said the
Rev. Marcus J. Miller, bishop of the Northeastern Ohio Synod of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America.
     Miller spoke to the ELCA Division for Higher Education and
Schools board meeting here Sept. 27-29.  The board gave special
focus to elementary schools and early childhood centers.
     "We, as members of the board, need to tell the story of our
schools," said Dr. Mary Ann Shealy, Newberry, S.C., board chair.
     "New Hope Academy in Youngstown, Ohio, is an example of
ecumenical cooperation," said Miller.  "New Hope Academy is an
independently incorporated, Christ-centered elementary school."
Sponsored by the Northeastern Ohio Synod of the ELCA, the
Catholic Dioceses of Youngstown, and the Ursaline Sisters, New
Hope Academy provides education from kindergarten through grade
six.  The school provides after-school and preschool programs,
and chapel twice a week.  There are two Lutheran teachers on
staff, and students who are interested can learn about
Lutheranism.
     Father Edward Noga of St. Patrick Catholic Church and the
Rev. Robert J. Novak of Honterus Lutheran Church, both in
Youngstown, brought Miller into a discussion on the closing of
St. Patrick Catholic School.  The three looked at the need for
providing quality education for the children of Youngstown#s
south side .
     "We recognize the importance of education in breaking the
cycle of poverty in our city, and in the lives of our youngest
citizens.  We voice again the moral imperative of the gospel that
requires us as individuals and as faith communities to act
decisively," said Miller.
     Founded in 1914, St. Patrick School had been a mainstay of
the south side and "a light of hope in the Youngstown area," said
Miller.  New Hope Academy opened its doors this fall.
     In a panel discussion, guest speaker Joe McTighe, director
of the Council on American Private Education in Washington, D.C.,
said, "The similarity and purpose among the diverse religious
groups is the Christian message.  The heart of our commonality is
the response to Christ and the mission to carry out the Gospel
message."  The Rev. Paul J. Thielo, Messiah Lutheran Church in
Fairview Park, Ohio, and John J. Scibilia, ELCA director for
schools were also panelists.
     "I am impressed by the dedication of people to schools.  I
am excited to see how schools are being integrated with the
church.  Integration in the on-going life of Christian
congregations can learn from schools on how to communicate the
gospel to new generations," said the Rev. H. Frederick Reisz Jr.,
president of Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary, Columbia,
S.C., board member .
     In other business, Scibilia reported that the department for
schools is supporting and tracking 250 congregations which are
preparing to open or actively studying the feasibility of a
Lutheran early education center, elementary or secondary school.
Materials have been designed to assist these congregations.
     Faith Lutheran School, Raleigh, N.C., was destroyed by
Hurricane Fran in September.  The Rev. Leon Phillips, director
for Lutheran Disaster Response, said, "I have never seen more
total destruction in a disaster than I have seen in this school."

Faith Lutheran has nearly 300 students.  The school is in
operation with students attending Holy Trinity Lutheran Church
and the Salvation Army Community Center in Raleigh.
     The National Gathering for Lutheran College and University
Students will be held Dec. 28-Jan. 1 in San Antonio, Texas.  The
theme will be "Borders, Boundaries and Belief."  In addition to
their regular business of electing officers, debating issues and
passing legislation, the conference will feature excursions into
the community, hands-on community service and presentations.
     The Division for Higher Education and Schools is responsible
for the educational activities of the ELCA through its colleges
and universities, campus ministry, preschools, and elementary and
secondary schools.  "A quarter of a million children attend more
than 2,000 Lutheran early-childhood centers, elementary and
secondary schools," said Dr. Shealy.

For information contact: Ann Hafften, Dir., ELCA News Service,
(312) 380-2958 or AHAFFTEN@ELCA.ORG; Frank Imhoff, Assoc. Dir.,
(312) 380-2955 or FRANKI@ELCA.ORG