From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

New GAC Chair Prescribes Major Surgery for Presbyterian Church

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 05 Oct 1996 18:43:53

1-October-1996

96396        New GAC Chair Prescribes Major Surgery
                     for Presbyterian Church

                      by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--Major surgery is required to cure what ails the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) "or the church will die," new General Assembly
Council (GAC) chair Youngil Cho of Raleigh, N.C., told the Council here
Sept. 24 as it gathered for two days of orientation prior to its fall
meeting.

     With the Council expanded from 71 to 97 -- a majority of them new
members -- Cho personally orchestrated a marathon orientation session that
included informational presentations by nearly two dozen denominational
leaders.  And he spoke frankly about what he believes is needed to reverse
trends that show membership, financial support and trust all declining
within the denomination.

     Cho said the PC(USA) needs to be "streamlined as in the corporate
environment," where there is decision making "from the boardroom to the
assembly line."  Cho said of the GAC, "We create programs without assessing
the needs of congregations -- we need to do something for nurturing
families and local congregations."

     He proposed five concrete steps:

     *    a radical restructuring of the General Assembly mission
          enterprise
     *    a reduction of the national staff by two-thirds
     *    the elimination of synods
     *    a reduction in the number of General Assembly-level entities
     *    the transfer of most functions of the GAC to the presbyteries.

     Of the impact of his proposals on church employees throughout the
church, Cho said, "Many times God sacrificed people to save his people.  I
believe we can sacrifice a few people to save this denomination."

     Despite his dire warnings, Cho insisted "the church has hope.  The
PC(USA) is in the hands of God."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073