From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Congregational Ministries Division Approves Covenant

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 05 Oct 1996 18:43:55

30-September-1996

96393     Congregational Ministries Division Approves Covenant
                  Agreement With Presbyterian Mariners

                         by Julian Shipp

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--The Congregational Ministries Division (CMD) Committee
approved a new covenant with the Presbyterian Mariners here Sept. 27, an
agreement reached in light of the General Assembly's authorization to
eliminate the Office of Family and Single Adult Ministries, which provided
national staff support to the Mariners organization.

     Elimination of the Family and Single Adult Ministries position is
effective Jan. 1, 1997. According to CMD officials, the executive board of
Presbyterian Mariners will review the covenant agreement further and act on
it during their national board meeting in January.

     Billed as the denomination's only family-focused ministry
organization, the almost 70-year-old Presbyterian Mariners enriches married
couples and their families through a variety of programs at the
congregational, regional and national levels. In more recent years, it has
also reached out to include increasing numbers of single persons in its
ministries.

     The covenant includes creation of a planning team through the
Christian Education Program Area that would meet several times a year to
address family ministry issues and plan responses to them.  Under the
proposal, the Mariners would use $20,000 they have designated to help
support the family ministries office to help fund their costs of
participating in the meetings.

     "We have been in conversation with the Mariners and we do not want our
relationship to be severed," said the Rev. Ed Craxton, CMD associate for
Christian education. "We do want to maintain our covenant relationship with
the Mariners."

     Under the terms of the agreement, Presbyterian Mariners would assume
several obligations, including

     *    advocating for strong and effective ministry with families
          throughout the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
     *    developing and publishing, in partnership with the CMD, resources
          on current issues and needs related to families
     *    working with the CMD to expand membership in Presbyterian
          Mariners.

     Likewise, the CMD assumes several obligations under the agreement,
including

     *    designing and leading workshops at national and regional
          conferences of Presbyterian Mariners when circumstances permit
     *    coordinating with Presbyterian Mariners concerning family
          ministry exhibits at the annual meetings of the General Assembly
          and other national conferences
     *    cooperating with the office of the Presbyterian Mariners national
          executive secretary in responding to inquires and requests for
          information about the Mariners from middle governing bodies and
          congregational leaders.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073