From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Congregational Ministries Division Discusses Ways to Increase

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 05 Oct 1996 18:43:57

2-October-1996

96389      Congregational Ministries Division Discusses
            Ways to Increase Shrinking Unified Giving

                         by Julian Shipp

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--Rolling up its collective sleeves here Sept. 27-28, the
Congregational Ministries Division (CMD) Committee devoted a significant
portion of its time together discussing ways to increase shrinking unified,
or unrestricted, giving, which will affect future budgets.

     With more than 25 percent of the division's $20 million budget covered
by unified funds, a projected $2.4 million decrease in unified giving to
the 1988 General Assembly mission budget spells potential problems for CMD.
Nonetheless, in an effort to diminish the impact of these dwindling funds,
division officials agreed to develop a plan of action and implementation.

     The Rev. Blair R. Monie of Dallas, CMD Committee chair, cautioned the
church against slipping into what he described as a "predictable pattern of
declining giving" followed by budget cuts.

      "I get real concerned when we say to our churches every two years or
so that budget cuts are going to give us less money then we had in previous
years," Monie said. "I think that this has a tendency to become a sort of
self-fulfilling prophecy and my concern is what we say to the church in the
meantime."

     Summarizing the division's proposals to deal with the projected
decline in unified funds, the Rev. Eunice B. Poethig, CMD director, said
the division must

     *    increase revenue in unified giving, Special Offerings, and fees
          for events
     *    give more attention to fees for clients and Special Offerings
          promotion
     *    increase the sale of resources
     *    reduce staff and programs, but only as a last resort.

     "I don't think dramatic-enough action has been taken yet [to address
declining unified giving]," Poethig told the Presbyterian News Service.
"But what I do think is positive is the mood of the General Assembly
Council members, especially the new ones, of assuming that they need to
take a very active role in interpreting the mission of the church to their
congregations, to their presbyteries and to their synods.

     "I think the analysis of a lack of communication between the governing
bodies all across the system and congregations is a fair one," Poethig
said. "And I know from having worked for the presbytery how hard it is for
people who work for the governing body system to get on the agendas of the
presbyteries. But once we collectively begin to address the churchwide
problems, then I think people are going to do something about it."

     The Rev. John G. McFayden of Woodbridge, Va., CMD Stewardship
Committee chair, said he'd like to see the division become more "proactive"
to economic trends. For example, he said, one of the things the Mission
Interpretation and Promotion area has committed to do is make congregations
more aware of what programs their unified dollars support.

     "I think we do an exceptional job of promoting the Special Offerings
and interpreting those," McFayden said. "But now we're taking some steps to
be more deliberate and intentional in promoting the general mission that is
supported by unified giving. To that end, you will see a series of
[promotional materials] coming out that are based on the [1997]  Mission
Yearbook' that give interpretation of missions supported by unified
giving."

     But  all CMD Committee members do not share the same philosophical
perspective. For instance, the Rev. K.C. Ptomey Jr. of Nashville, Tenn., a
CMD Committee member, said he believes there is "nothing the denomination
can do about unified funding from the top" and that the church "ought to be
realistic about the shrinking of unified funding."

     "I tend to be a person who thinks we have to deal with reality,"
Ptomey told the Presbyterian News Service. "I don't think it's just a
denominational thing.  I think the decrease in the support of the
denomination is cultural. The whole cultural move is away from centralized
bureaucracy and supporting national organizations and taking things more
down to the grassroots level.

     "I don't think positive thinking is going to solve the problem,"
Ptomey said. "But I do think Presbyterians, like all other Americans in
this culture, are much less enamored of national programs and are much more
supportive of local mission efforts or those they can be personally
involved in. It seems to me the direction we ought to take is to try to
find ways in which we can enable congregations to do that rather than to
try to increase unified giving to support national entities that we think
are important."

     CMD's work falls into four basic categories:

     *    providing direct resources to congregations and Presbyterians --
          for example, curriculum, stewardship materials, and educational,
          inspirational/events such as the Pastor as Theologian, Older
          Adult Ministries, the Peacemaking Program and youth/young adult
          ministries
     *    maintaining a system of educational institutions that supplement
          the ministries of congregations, such as conference centers,
          presbytery resource centers, cooperative  programs with
          theological institutions, and maintaining networks of specialized
          ministries
     *    providing services to General Assembly Council (GAC) program
          areas and other entities that provide direct services to
          congregations -- for example, Media and Research Services and
          Mission Interpretation and Promotion
     *    providing opportunities for congregations to be involved with the
          global mission of the church through mission interpretation,
          Special Offerings and participation in programs such as
          peacemaking.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073