From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Homosexuality on Churches' Agenda "Whether We Like it or Not"

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 05 Oct 1996 18:45:47

4-October-1996

96382           Homosexuality on Churches' Agenda
                   "Whether We Like it or Not"

                         by Stephen Brown
                  Ecumenical News International

GENEVA--The question of homosexuality is on the agenda of the world church
"whether we like it or not" and "probably the worst way of responding would
be to try to keep the issue out," Konrad Raiser, general secretary of the
World Council of Churches, said recently.

     The issue has become particularly sensitive within the WCC because of
a campaign against homosexuals by Robert Mugabe, the president of Zimbabwe,
where the WCC's next assembly will be held in 1998. The sensitivity is
increased by the fact that the WCC's 330 member churches have widely
differing views on homosexuality.  Some of the churches freely welcome
homosexuals into their congregations and in some cases their clergy. Others
condemn all homosexual acts as sinful.

     Raiser, speaking Sept. 19 to the WCC's central committee, which met in
Geneva Sept. 12-20, was reporting on a discussion within a subcommittee
after a controversial debate earlier in the meeting about homosexuality and
the planned assembly in Harare.

     The subcommittee meeting had, said Raiser, "the first open, sincere
and very serious discussion about the issue" within the organization. It
had been acknowledged in the discussion that homosexuality was "potentially
a very divisive concern, and already at this stage is weighing heavily on
the internal unity of a fair number of member churches."

     Delegates from some WCC member churches, he said, spoke of "the danger
that if we were to push the debate about the question of human sexuality,
sexual orientation, then it might force their churches to reconsider their
relationship with the World Council of Churches."

     Although there had been no formal decision, Raiser said, "there was an
emerging understanding that we have to find a way where the central
committee can be helped at its next meeting [in 1997] to acknowledge and
understand the issue we are debating [and] what we share as a common
basis."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073