From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

"Just Help Us," Children's Network Organizer Tells Churches

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 09 Oct 1996 18:00:26

8-October-1996

96384     "Just Help Us," Children's Network Organizer
                          Tells Churches

                      by Jerry L. Van Marter
                  Ecumenical News International

GENEVA--Craig Kielburger, an innocent-looking adolescent from Toronto,
Canada, knew nothing about child exploitation until he read a newspaper
account about the murder in Pakistan of a 12-year-old carpet weaver who
dared speak out about his own misery.

     "He was the same age as me, and it was so terrible I just had to do
something," Kielburger, now age 13, told members of the World Council of
Churches Central Committee Sept. 19.

     So with a group of about 20 friends in Toronto, he started a child
advocacy organization, Free the Children, that in less than a year has
spread "all across the world."

     Ashtha Tuladhar, a 15-year-old from Nepal, was also ignorant of the
dangers facing the world's children until she agreed to attend a United
Nations-sponsored meeting that brought together children from her country.

     "It was students and street kids and prostitutes -- we were all
shocked at first," Tuladhar recounted.  "But then we began to understand
each other and, once we did, we knew we had to get organized."

     With help from UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund), Tuladhar and
her newfound allies created Bal Chetana Samuha (Child Awareness Group), a
children's rights group with networks of children throughout Nepal.

     Now the WCC has joined the global effort to fight the abuse and
exploitation of children worldwide. After establishing the rights of
children as a WCC priority last year, the WCC hosted the International
Consultation on the Rights of Children in May this year, in which
Kielburger and Tuladhar participated.

     The WCC has produced a booklet, "We Can Help Each Other" -- based on
the consultation -- to assist member churches in their child advocacy
efforts and to foster creation of a global child advocacy network.

     "It is clear that churches can and should do more to respond ... to
the dramatic situation affecting our children, taking care to address root
causes," Drexel Gomez of the Church of the Province of the West Indies told
the Central Committee.  Gomez chairs the WCC committee spearheading the
effort.

     According to the booklet:

     *     There are an estimated 100 million homeless street children
           worldwide under the age of 15.
     *     One million children are forced into prostitution each year,
           with most of them contracting HIV/AIDS.
     *     There is an 80 percent mortality rate among children under the
           age of five born with AIDS.
     *     An estimated 190 children under the age of five suffer from
           chronic malnutrition.
     *     There are several million child slaves in the world.
     *     At least 200 million children work full-time, mostly on farms in
           South Asia.

     But increasingly children -- and adults who support them -- are taking
action to defend children. "It is very important that you know the
incredible impact a number of organizations are having on this situation,"
Gomez told the Central Committee.

     "We are very happy UNICEF has helped us, and we are very happy that
the WCC is now willing to help as well," Tuladhar said.  "It doesn't matter
what religion or color we are or you are," she added. "Just help us."

     Kielburger agreed.  "Believe in us, challenge us and please don't
underestimate us," he said. "Our generation will surprise you."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073