From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Emergency Conference on Racism to Convene in South Carolina

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 14 Oct 1996 21:33:57

10-October-1996

96407            Emergency Conference on Racism
                   to Convene in South Carolina

                        by Carol J. Fouke
       National Council of Churches Office of News Services

COLUMBIA, S.C.--The National Council of Churches (NCC), in collaboration
with the Center for Constitutional Rights and the South Carolina Organizing
Committee, is sponsoring "An Emergency Conference Against Racism" here Oct.
24-26.  The conference is a Southeastern regional response to the
unprecedented number of African-American houses of worship that have been
burned, damaged or vandalized across the nation.

     "One of the main purposes for this conference is to begin a national
dialogue on racism," said the Rev. Mac Charles Jones, director of the NCC's
Burned Churches Project.  "If we are to stop the epidemic of fires that is
destroying so many of our churches, we must launch a campaign to get at the
root causes and to eradicate this menace.  It is time to put an end to
racial intolerance."

     South Carolina has been selected for the kick-off conference in this
national dialogue because it is the state with the most church burnings and
where an increasing number of racially motivated crimes have occurred.
"Moreover, we are incensed that the symbolism of slavery -- the Confederate
flag -- continues to fly over the statehouse," asserted Ron Daniels,
executive director of the Center for Constitutional Rights.

     The conference, the first in a series of regional gatherings, will
present a variety of speakers and panels to address racism and white
supremacy.

     Along with Jones and Daniels, speakers scheduled to appear include the
Rev. Joan Brown Campbell, NCC general secretary; the Rev. Jesse Jackson of
the Rainbow Coalition; Kenneth Jones of the Peace Development Fund; Ron
Hampton of the National Association of Black Police Officers; the Rev.
Terrance Mackey, pastor of Mt. Zion AME Churchy of Greeleyville, S.C.; and
Jan Love, professor of political science at the University of South
Carolina.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073