From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal and Lutheran bishops ener

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org
Date 18 Oct 1996 02:12:19

October 17, 1996
Episcopal News Service
Jim Solheim, Director
212-922-5385
ens@ecunet.org

96-1579
Episcopal and Lutheran bishops energized
by Concordat's plan for full communion

by James Solheim
       (ENS) More than 200 bishops of the Episcopal Church and the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) emerged from a five-
day meeting in the mountains of eastern Pennsylvania more deeply
committed to a proposal for full communion between the churches, while
acknowledging that important work remains to be done.
       In a communique issued at the end of the historic joint gathering,
October 3-8, the churches' presiding bishops strongly endorsed the
Concordat of Agreement that will be a major item of business at both
denominations' national meetings next summer.
       "We stand on the threshold of an exciting new possibility--
namely, the declaration of full communion between our churches and the
mutual recognition of the authenticity of the ordained ministries presently
existing in our two churches," said H. George Anderson of the ELCA
and the Episcopal Church's Edmond L. Browning
       Their communique also pointed, however, to lingering
reservations, especially among Lutherans, when it noted, "We have
discussed with candor the challenges and opportunities before us and
worked to clarify the issues and contribute to further refinement of the
proposals."
       Overall, however, the meeting, which some participants said
could reshape the whole ecumenical movement, managed to allay most
fears and spark genuine excitement for bringing the Concordat to positive
votes.
       "As we move forward together, God will guide our churches into
uncharted territories that hold both promise and challenge," the statement
concluded. "We believe that our churches are being called to journey in
the one apostolic faith together... and we pledge ourselves to our
reconciliation, one to another, in the mission God now sets before us on
this threshold of a new millennium."

A beginning vision
       In an opening keynote address, Bishop Edward Jones of
Indianapolis acknowledged his own enthusiasm for the Concordat, while
urging the bishops to be candid in discussing their concerns.
       Referring to the prayer of Jesus recorded in John 17:21 that "all
may be one," Jones, co-chair of the Lutheran-Episcopal coordinating
committee that has guided the Concordat toward passage, observed that
the "spiritual marriage of our two churches will have a far-reaching
effect upon the world-wide Christian family." And he added that "the
world is watching to see what the church may do to heal the wounds of
history."
       Jones contended that "full communion is not a clever way of
making us something that we are not. Rather, it is a sharing of gifts." He
encouraged the bishops to be honest with each other when discussing
"the potential these gifts may have for refreshing the lives of our
churches," as well as those things that "cause some discomfort."

Lutherans in historic episcopate
       And from the beginning it was clear that many Lutheran bishops
did have deep reservations about some of the Concordat's proposals,
especially those designed to move the two churches to a common
understanding of ordained ministry and the place of bishops.
       If passed, the Concordat, the product of 27 years of discussion,
and forged in particular by a third round of talks concluded in 1991,
would immediately recognize the interchangeability of clergy, and would
require the presence of both Episcopal and Lutheran bishops for the
consecration of bishops in either church. While primarily a sign of the
new relationship between the two churches, the joint consecrations would
also, over time, establish in the Lutheran Church a clear connection to
the "historic episcopate," or the unbroken line of episcopal consecrations
believed to stretch back to the apostles.
       The Episcopal Church, meanwhile, would temporarily suspend a
requirement that only priests ordained by bishops within the "historic
episcopate" be allowed to preside at the Eucharist.
       Unlike some of the Scandinavian churches, Lutherans in this
country have not maintained the historic episcopate, nor are Lutheran
bishops in the United States presently consecrated for life. Anderson said
that Lutherans must be convinced that adopting the historic episcopate
"does not mean some additional requirement since, for Lutherans, it is
enough to agree on the Gospel."
       He also said that the ELCA, which only nine years ago was
formed from the merger of three Lutheran bodies, is still developing its
own understanding of ministry, and needs to know that the Concordat
would "allow an interpretation of ministry that recognized where
Lutherans are at this point." Lutherans do not ordain to three orders of
ministry.

Putting fears to rest
       The chance simply to air those concerns--sent in a list to the joint
coordinating committee that will hammer out the Concordat's final
language--and the Episcopal bishops' receptive willingness to hear them
did much to put the Lutheran worries to rest, Anderson said.
       In addition, the joint sessions in which the bishops met in mixed
small groups were "a very powerful experience for our bishops,"
Anderson said. "Some stereotypes were removed. I think some history
has been understood and clarified."
       As a result, he said, he is convinced that "a tremendous energy"
has been unleashed and a commitment to communicate to Lutherans on
the local level that "relationships with the Episcopal Church would be a
great benefit to us--and to Christendom." Yet Anderson admitted, in a
news conference, that "there is still an immense amount of work to be
done."
       The "conversion" of many bishops who brought with them to the
meeting some deeply felt reservations was attributed to frank and open
discussions around tables and some "simple and profound" worship
together. Several Lutheran bishops also mentioned the crucial role of the
chaplains from the Society of St. John the Evangelist, Martin Smith and
Curtis Almquist, in drawing things together.

Exploring identity
       Stimulated by speeches on Anglican and Lutheran identity, the
table groups quickly discovered how much they shared spiritually and
liturgically.
       Dr. John Booty, retired professor and now historiographer of the
Episcopal Church, took the bishops through an exploration of the role of
the Book of Common Prayer, calling it "the heartbeat of Christian life"
and the wellspring of identity for Episcopalians. He added, "It is through
the use of the Book of Common Prayer that we are a peculiar community
within the church of God."
       Dr. Eric Gritsch, a retired Lutheran church historian, stressed the
centrality of the Augsburg Confession to the Lutheran church, and
reminded the bishops that Lutheranism defines itself as "a reform
movement within the church catholic," one that emphasizes that "for the
true unity of the church it is enough to agree concerning the teaching of
the Gospel and the administration of the sacraments." He added that
"Lutheranism cannot exist without its ecumenical intentions."
       The bishops also took time to discuss areas of ministry where they
already cooperate and new areas of joint ministry that would be
encouraged by the Concordat, accepting the challenge of Dr. Martin
Marty of the University of Chicago to move beyond "issues that to many
church members will seem to show preoccupation with professional,
hierarchical, clerical issues that do not make much difference in their
lives." He urged the bishops and the two churches to keep "Christ's
mission to a suffering humanity" at the center of their work together.

Pockets of resistance
       Yet some bishops in both churches continued to express
reservations or outright opposition to the Concordat. In the spirit of
honesty, a few Lutheran bishops said that the ELCA needed to deal with
internal issues resulting from its formation in 1988 before it could engage
in serious ecumenical commitments. Others argued for an approval "in
principle" followed by interim period of study at the grassroots level.
And there was general concern that time was short to prepare those who
will make the decision next summer.
       A few bishops raised the issue of sexuality, warning that a move
by the Episcopal Church's General Convention to condone blessing same-
sex unions would "kill the Concordat for Lutherans."
       At the same time, bishops from both churches underscored the
urgency of moving quickly to "sell" the Concordat, which they said has
not been adequately explained to parishioners in either denomination.
And they said that while a positive vote would be a tremendous boost to
the ecumenical movement, a negative vote could send an ominous chill.
One bishop stressed that the church is desperately in need of this new
relationship between Lutherans and Episcopalians "as a witness to the
Gospel they share together."

International encouragement
       International visitors also urged the bishops to move ahead with
the Concordat. While allowing that each church should be "cautious" and
take as much time as it needed, Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey
also urged them to act with "courage," pointing to the recent agreement
of Lutherans and Anglicans in northern Europe as an example of growing
international cooperation between the two traditions.
       The Porvoo Agreement, named after the Finnish city where the
proposal was adopted, Carey said, "proceeds from the premise that the
will to go on in the ecumenical movement with many partners and many
activities, however fragile, is a sign to Christians themselves and to the
world that we do actually believe that there is a better and more
reconciled way given by God in Christ."
       Prof. Gnther Gassmann, a German Lutheran who was head of
Faith and Order for the World Council of Churches, pointed to "a certain
ecumenical timidity" that has settled over the ecumenical movement. The
Porvoo Agreement among Anglicans and Lutherans in northern Europe
Concordat would provide a much-needed stimulant for other dialogues.
(See separate story.)

Risks are worth the cost
       All in all, "what has been accomplished here in a few days has
been remarkable," Anderson said. He called attention to the deepening of
personal bonds with Browning and the critical contribution of the table
discussions. "Minds have been changed, horizons have been
broadened.... We have discovered here that the risks are worth the cost,"
he said.
       In a news conference Anderson said that he had sensed that the
Lutheran bishops "are in large measure committed to moving forward--
and see themselves as interpreters and advocates, working for the
approval of the Concordat."
       "Things seem to be coming together," added Browning. "We are
together in a sound and creative way." He said that he sensed "joy and
encouragement over what has happened here--and a deeper fellowship
than ever has been experienced between our two churches because of this
meeting. Bonds of affection have been made in this meeting that did not
exist before."

--James Solheim is director of news and information for the Episcopal
Church.