From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

MARCHA celebrates 25th

From owner-umethnews@ecunet.org
Date 06 Dec 1996 14:59:41

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS" by SUSAN PEEK on Aug. 11, 1991 at 13:58 Eastern,
about FULL TEXT RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (3323 notes).

Note 3314 by UMNS on Dec. 4, 1996 at 16:46 Eastern (5350 characters).

SEARCH: MARCHA, El Paso, Hispanic, United Methodists, 25th
Produced by United Methodist News Service, official news agency of
the United Methodist Church, with offices in Nashville, Tenn., New
York, and Washington.

CONTACT: Linda Green                             602(10-71B){3314}
         Nashville, Tenn. (615) 742-5470              Dec. 3, 1996

MARCHA's 25th anniversary meeting
a big stride into the future

by Samuel E. de la Rosa*

     EL PASO, Texas (UMNS) -- For the first time in its history,
the leading Hispanic organization within the United Methodist
Church elected new leadership with a majority of women occupying
its executive committee.
     The historic election occurred during MARCHA's 25th
anniversary meeting, here, Nov. 21-24. The celebration took place
at Lydia Patterson Institute, site of the first MARCHA meeting in
1971.  Approximately 350 people attended, the largest gathering in
the organization's history.
     MARCHA (Methodists United to Represent the Cause of Hispanic
Americans) was created by a steering committee organized in 1970
to create a national Hispanic caucus. In 1971, its first annual
meeting was presided over by Bishop Elias Galvan, who also played
a leading role in this year's historical celebration.
     From the moment of its birth, MARCHA has sponsored the
development of Hispanic ministries in the United States and has
labored hand in hand with the United Methodist Church in the
Caribbean and in Latin America. The caucus worked with the
denomination on such matters as autonomy for the Methodist Church
of Puerto Rico and the 1985 Sanctuary Movement.
     Besides its support of collective issues, MARCHA has
sponsored individual causes, such as the election, in 1984 and
again in 1992, of the first and second Hispanic bishops of the
United Methodist Church: Bishops Elias Galvan and Joel Martinez.
     During this year's anniversary meeting, noted participants,
delegates and observers of all ages reminisced, celebrated
together and accepted responsibility for greeting the next century
with an increased number of women and youth in the governing body
of the caucus.
     Galvan gave a keynote address at an anniversary banquet
honoring the organization's pioneers.  Lydia Patterson's president
Socorro de Anda hosted one event which featured folk and popular
dances.
     Among prominent Hispanic leaders participating in the opening
ceremony were bishops Galvan, Martinez, Isaias Gutierrez and
Francisco Gustavo Cruz Diaz.
     The Rev. Samuel Pagan, president of Puerto Rico's Evangelical
Seminary, presented three biblical studies based on Paul's Letters
to the Corinthians.
     The Rev. Justo Gonzalez, Cuban writer and historian, gave two
presentations on MARCHA, one looking at the past, the second
looking at the future.
     While MARCHA's past was honored, many participants said a new
awareness of the future prevailed.  "The time has come to change
MARCHA," said the organization's new president, Mary Silva of San
Antonio, Texas.  "During the past 25 years MARCHA has been seen as
a predominately male organization, but now women will be seen in
this beautiful ministry."
     In the past, said Silva, only three women served on MARCHA's
board. Now, only three men were elected to the board here.  "We
see, then, a new beginning, a new day where youth, young adults
and women will be included," she said.  "Everybody fits in this
Ministry, We are facing a brilliant future where the best of our
church and of our Hispanic people will shine."
     Also elected to the executive committee were Madga Morales,
Germantown, Md., vice president; the Rev. Myrna Soto, Puerto Rico,
secretary and Oscar Garza IV, Rio Grande, Texas, treasurer. MARCHA
members also elected eight new presidents for the organization's
standing committes.
     Jose Orlando Rivera, reelected executive director, said goals
for the 25th anniversary meeting had been met or surpassed. "We
have worked hard, and we have celebrated our 25th anniversary with
joy. Now we are looking toward the future, to the work that must
be completed during the next 25 years with energy and integrity,
with messianic zealousness and prophetic spirit, which is the only
way to face the challenge waiting for the Hispanic people."
     Setting priorities for the coming year, MARCHA leaders voted
to:
     * continue implementation of the National Plan for Hispanic
Ministries;
     * strengthen relations with CIEMAL (Council of Methodist
Evangelical Churches of Latin America and the Caribbean);
     * follow up on resolutions and agreements supported by MARCHA
at the church's 1996 General Conference in Denver;
     * continue promoting wide participation of women,
seminarians, young adults and youth in MARCHA;
     * study the possibility of establishing a dialogue with AMEN
(Union of National Evangelical Ministries).
     "I honestly think we made history," said the Rev. Victor
Perez Silvestry, staff member of the churchwide Board of
Discipleship. "This meeting opens a new chapter for MARCHA ... I
believe we'll have MARCHA for a long, long time and am positive
these next 25 years will be excellent."
                               # # #
     *de la Rosa is the director of Vision Methodista, a bi-
monthly newsletter of the Puerto Rico Methodist Church.