From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Iowa Methodists Provide Sanctuary

From owner-umethnews@ecunet.org
Date 16 Dec 1996 21:20:22

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS" by SUSAN PEEK on Aug. 11, 1991 at 13:58 Eastern,
about FULL TEXT RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (3341 notes).

Note 3341 by UMNS on Dec. 16, 1996 at 16:36 Eastern (4130 characters).

SEARCH: Iowa, United Methodist, immigrants, INS, sanctuary
Produced by United Methodist News Service, official news agency of
the United Methodist Church, with offices in Nashville, Tenn., New
York, and Washington.

CONTACT:  Linda Bloom                      629(10-21-32-71B){3341}
          New York (212) 870-3803                    Dec. 16, 1996

Iowa Methodist churches called
to provide immigrants sanctuary

     DES MOINES, Iowa (UMNS) -- United Methodist churches in Iowa
are being called upon to provide sanctuary and support to Hispanic
families threatened with deportation by the U.S. Immigration and
Naturalization Service (INS).
     The call to the state's nearly 203,000 United Methodists was
made by Bishop Charles Wesley Jordan and the superintendents of
the denomination's 12 districts in Iowa.
     In a two-page pastoral letter, dated Nov. 25, Jordan and the
12 district superintendents say the INS has ignored due process
guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution to all immigrants -- including
undocumented workers -- in their increasing raids on Iowa
companies employing Hispanic workers.
     The letter notes that most of the workers "have been drawn or
invited to Iowa by those companies' promises of secure work and
good wages" and declares the church cannot ignore "the
scapegoating and latent racism involved in any action that targets
a particular ethnic/cultural population."
     The United Methodist Iowa Conference has about 900 churches,
including two Hispanic congregations in Muscatine and Des Moines.
                              #  #  #

The complete text of the letter follows:

Dear Friends in Christ:

     We are deeply concerned about the recent and repeated actions
involving the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) and
local authorities directed toward Hispanic immigrants and workers
in Iowa. We write in the name and spirit of Jesus Christ, to urge
your involvement in ministries of hospitality, compassion and
justice with our Hispanic neighbors.

     As you know from recent news bulletins, there has been a
dramatic and growing increase in the number of INS raids on Iowa
companies employing Hispanic workers. What is generally unknown
and unreported is that most of the Hispanic workers have been
drawn or invited to Iowa by those companies' promises of secure
work and good wages. Further, an increasing number of Hispanics
are being summarily deported, ignoring due process guaranteed by
our Constitution to all immigrants, including undocumented
immigrants. These actions have been splitting families, inflicting
fear and uncertainty on children and threatening other members of
the affected families with fines or incarceration.  We can not
ignore the scapegoating and latent racism involved in any action
that targets a particular ethnic/cultural population.
     As Iowa United Methodists, we may not all agree on our
government's immigration policy and practices, but there is much
we do agree upon. As children of God, we affirm our common
creator. We acknowledge Christ's love and compassion for all God's
children. We are committed to justice and due legal processes for
all persons. We reject the sin of racism. We seek wholeness for
all individuals, families and communities.
     We urge you and your congregation to support the following
actions:
     1. become familiar with and support our denomination's
National Hispanic Plan;
     2. invite your district superintendent or another speaker to
address your congregation or group within your church;
     3. advocate for justice and due process with employers and
legal authorities in your community;
     4. offer your church as a center for hospitality and/or
sanctuary for threatened persons and families;
     5. support those individuals and agencies working for due
process with compassion.
     We thank you for your faithful witness to Christ's
transforming good news. May God bless your leadership and your
ministries of justice and compassion.

     (Signed by the bishop and 12 district superintendents of the
Iowa United Methodist Annual Conference.)