From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS FOR DEC. 12, 1996

From LEAH_MCCARTER.parti@ecunet.org
Date 13 Dec 1996 23:06:08

To: wfn-editors@wfn.org

American Baptist News Service_____________________
Office of Communication / American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Richard W. Schramm, Director (E-mail:
RICH_SCHRAMM.PARTI@ECUNET.ORG)

_________________________

UPDATE: DECEMBER 10, 1996
____________

NEWS FEATURE
AMERICAN BAPTIST CHURCHES GENERAL BOARD SPEAKS OUT ON
IMMIGRATION;
JOHNSON, MCCRAY ARE NOMINEES FOR PRESIDENT, VICE
PRESIDENT FOR 1998-1999
     CHERRY HILL, N.J. (ABNS)--In semiannual meetings
here Dec. 5-8 the American Baptist Churches
USA General Board issued a statement on immigration and
received the report of its Nominating Committee that
named the Revs. James B. Johnson and Trinette V. McCray
as nominees for president and vice president
respectively of the denomination for the next biennium.
     The Board also heard reports from Biennial Program
Committee Chair Beverly D. Scott, American
Baptist Churches President G. Elaine Smith and General
Secretary Daniel E. Weiss, and provided input for the
Commission on Denominational Unity it established last
year, among other actions.
     The "Declaration on an Issue of Importance:
Immigration," passed with a vote of 145 yes, 0 no and 10
abstentions, noted that the U.S. currently is
experiencing "strong anti-immigration pronouncements,
policies and
even restrictive national legislation."  Tracing the
American Baptist Churches' "long and honorable tradition
of
assisting the newcomer," the declaration calls on
American Baptists to "pray for immigrants and refugees
and
their needs; sponsor a refugee family; commit ourselves
to advocate for groups who have systematically been
denied access to the immigration process due to racism
[and] monitor immigration and refugee issues and make
your views known to your state and federal
representatives."
     The Board's Nominating Committee presented nominees
for president, vice president and budget review
officer for the two-year term 1998-1999.  Dr. James B.
Johnson, pastor of First Baptist Church in Fairmont,
W.V., is the nominee for president.  The Rev. Trinette V.
McCray, associate pastor of Calvary Baptist Church in
Milwaukee, Wis., is the nominee for vice president.  Both
Johnson and McCray have been serving as members
of the General Board.  Kenneth L. Hines of Victor, N.Y.,
was named as nominee for budget review officer.
     The Board provided input to the Commission on
Denominational Unity it established last November for
the purpose of gathering information across the
denomination; engaging in dialog, study and prayer; and
eventually reporting back to the Board with findings and
recommendations.  Prior to the Board meeting the
Commission had conducted 11 "listening conferences"
involving about 600 participants.
     Chair Beverly D. Scott of the Biennial Program
Committee reported on the "efforts, prayers and
creativity" of that Committee in its work planning the
1997 Biennial Meeting of the denomination next June 24-
27 in Indianapolis.  The theme of "Renewed for Mission:
Rooted in God's Word" will continue to lift up the
longterm denominational emphasis, "ABC 2000: Renewed for
Mission," that was launched in 1993.   The
Committee responded in its planning to a goal it
articulated in January: "To provide an atmosphere in
which we
renew our commitment to know, speak and live God's Word."
Program elements will include multiple morning
Bible studies and prayer times, evening worship
experiences, music, action on Statements of Concern and
on
denominational business, and the election of American
Baptist Churches officers for the biennium 1998-1999.
Also, Wednesday and Thursday afternoons will feature a
wide variety of interactive and other "Adventures" that
in recent Biennial Meetings were included as workshops,
pavilions and mission encounters.  An opening night
celebration will lift up the theme through music, drama
and other art forms.  Plenary speakers for the following
evenings include: Dr. Daniel E. Weiss, American Baptist
Churches USA general secretary (Wednesday); Dr. G.
Elaine Smith, American Baptist Churches USA president
(Thursday); and the Rev. Bill Hybels, senior pastor of
Willow Creek Community Church in South Barrington, Ill.
(Friday).
     In her report President G. Elaine Smith considered
"the challenges of choice" confronting American
Baptist Churches, especially the opportunity either "to
ignore our diversity, minimize it, or celebrate it."
Ignoring
or minimizing that diversity, she said, "is rejecting
God's wisdom as Creator."  "A diverse people in a single
denomination worshipping one God can build God's Kingdom
here on earth," she said.
     General Secretary Daniel E. Weiss, addressing the
need for reconciliation, said, "The call for theological
reform as the way to unity focuses on the Cross and
Resurrection of Jesus Christ as a means to uncover the
power of the Gospel."  "We have our work cut out for us,"
he acknowledged, adding, "But if we intend to be a
people who will focus on our commonalities in Christ and
let the Bible determine the priorities of our agenda,
we can become all that God has envisioned for us."
     Noting "We are a people showing signs of
reconciliation," he cited the remarkable response of
American
Baptists to aid relief ministries to the many churches
victimized recently by arson, a response that has brought
in
more than $700,000 and engaged numerous volunteer groups
and individuals.  He also pointed to the work of the
Commission on Denominational Unity, as well as the
willingness of many American Baptists on different sides
of controversial issues to dialog with those who hold
other opinions.
     In other actions:
     o  during its Sunday worship the Board received an
offering totaling $2,035 that will be used to support
the radio ministry of Valley View Baptist Church in Cedar
Falls, Iowa; and
     o  noted its Executive Committee's selection of
Gilbert B. Brink, an active American Baptist layman,
as the 1997 recipient of the Cora and John Sparrowk
President's Award to be presented next June at the
denomination's Biennial Meeting.

96U1210
#111 on Fax Vault, a fax-on-
demand service at (610)337-7439; as "American Baptist
News Service" on ABNET, the American Baptist Churches'
computer network (a
branch of ECUNET); and on the Internet Web sites for
American Baptist Churches USA (http://www.abc-usa.org)
and for World-Wide Faith
News (http://www.wfn.org/wfn).

 -0-