From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Property Is Key to Identity for Pakistan's Presbyterians

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 17 Dec 1996 09:30:49

9-December-1996

96487     Property Is Key to Identity for Pakistan's Presbyterians

                      by Jerry L. Van Marter

LAHORE, Pakistan--Representing just 2 percent of the population of this
officially Muslim country, the Christian community in Pakistan is virtually
invisible.

     Yet, Christian churches -- particularly the Presbyterian Church of
Pakistan (PCP) -- are influential far beyond their numbers.  Their
importance to Pakistan society lies chiefly in their highly developed
educational and medical ministries among the largely poverty-stricken
population.

     And thus property -- the parcels of land and the schools and clinics
that inhabit them -- is the source of both the churches' identity and their
survival.

     "Our dignity and means of witness is property," said Edgar Khan,
treasurer of the Presbyterian Church of Pakistan, during the Nov. 12-13
consultation here that established the Presbyterian Property Trust in
Pakistan.  "Take it away from Christians here and they will die."

     The trust was established to enable the PCP and the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.) to jointly administer dozens of properties in Pakistan that
are owned by the PC(USA).  Ownership of many of the properties will
eventually accrue to the Pakistani Presbyterians.

     The urgency of the property consultations for the Pakistanis was
unmistakeable.  "Schools and hospitals are the identity of the church in
Pakistan," explained Sharif Alam, a delegate to the property consultation
from the PCP's Gujranwala Presbytery.  And, he added, "they have been a
good influence on the Muslims."

     Because they are such a minority in Pakistan, Christians -- more than
their counterparts in the United States -- view their property as central
to their evangelistic enterprise.  "To be a missionary church in a Muslim
country our witness must be in our services to our people," said Maqsood
Kamal, a teacher at Gujranwala Theological Seminary.  "Our influence is not
in our numbers, but in the leaders we produce to influence our society," he
said, "and our schools and hospitals are the places where those leaders are
developed."

     There is also a psychological factor at work in the church's property
holdings, said Parvaiz Rahmat Ullah, chair of the PCP's finance and
property resource committee.  "Most of our members are very poor and can
never hope to own property of their own," he explained.  "Their only sense
of ownership is church property."

     The PCP, a tiny community in a country where Christians are barely
tolerated, is in a state as financially precarious as that of most of its
members.  "Property is most of our resources," said PCP moderator Arthur
James.

     And so the importance of property -- and of the negotiations that
created the property trust between the PCUSA and the PCP -- cannot be
overestimated.  "Property is our most basic ingredient of production," said
James Mall, a property consultation delegate from Faisalabad Presbytery.
"We produce for God."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073