From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Disciples launch welcome campaign to persons with disabilities

From DISCNEWS.parti@ecunet.org
Date 06 Jan 1997 09:43:33

December 18, 1996
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Email: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
on the web: http//www.disciples.org

96b-102

   WASHINGTON, D.C. (DNS) -- The Christian Church (Disciples of
Christ), Dec. 12, launched a major campaign to support local churches in
welcoming people with disabilities into full participation and ministry.

   Six area churches were presented the first of more than 3,500 copies of
the handbook, "That All  May Worship: An Interfaith Welcome to People
with Disabilities, " that will be made available to Disciples congregations
across North America in the next few weeks.

   Distribution of "That All May Worship" is the first step in an ongoing
priority of the Board of Church Extension (BCE) of the Disciples of Christ to
help congregations strengthen their programs and facilities as they meet the
growing needs of all their members.

    "We are here as partners to support your congregations in making the
house of God even more welcoming to those with disabilities, " noted BCE
President James  L. Powell, Indianapolis, during one of the presentations at
National City Christian Church.

   "Today there are more than 49 million Americans with a physical, sensory
or mental disability.  A growing number are members of our congregations, a
fact we hear regularly as we consult with our churches about their increased
need for program access and leadership opportunities.  This handbook is
simply a first step toward our common goal to provide people with disabilities
an opportunity to share their gifts with the church."

   Also participating in the presentations was the handbook co-author,
Ginny Thornburgh, director, Religion and Disability Program, National
Organization on Disability, Washington, D.C.

   "The Disciples are to be applauded for this major effort to help all of its
churches move even further in supporting members and visitors with
disabilities," Thornburgh said. "This is the first denomination to provide
such
a resource to every church, providing a challenge and witness to the rest of
us."

   Barbara George, speaking on behalf of the Rev. Joan Brown Campbell,
general secretary, National Council of Churches, New York, N.Y.,
commended the churches for their commitment to a full life of faith for
children and adults with disabilities. "Dr. Campbell's fervent hope is that
every church will read and follow the wise and warm suggestions contained in
 That All May Worship,'" said George.

   "We in the church realize that attitudes toward others can provide barriers
as limiting as physical barriers.  We are thankful that you and a growing
number of other church leaders are willing to address this need in an
affirming and sensitive manner," George added.

   Churches receiving first copies of the handbook from Powell, Thornburgh
and George  included Bethany Christian Church and Henson Valley Christian
Church, both of Fort Washington, Md.  Representatives of National City
Christian Church, Washington, D.C., and North Chevy Chase (Md.) Christian
Church also accepted copies.

   Presentations also were made to leaders at University Christian Church,
Hyattsville, Md., and First Christian Church, Falls Church, Va.

   Funding for the handbook distribution was provided by the Oreon E.
Scott Foundation, Indianapolis, an organization supporting special projects
within the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).

   The National Organization on Disability, located in Washington, D.C.,
promotes the acceptance and full participation in all aspects of life of
America's men, women and children with disabilities. It is the only national
disability organization concerned with all disabilities, all age-groups and
all
disability issues.

                     - 30 -

DISCNEWS - inbox for Disciples News Service, Office of Communication,
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), PO Box 1986 Indianapolis, IN 46206,
tele. (317) 635-3100, (DISCNEWS.part@ecunet.org) Wilma Shuffitt, News and
Information Assistant; (CLIFF WILLIS.part@ecunet.org) Cliff Willis, Director
of News and Information; (CURT MILLER.part@ecunet.org) Executive Director