From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Schools Serving Others

From ELCANEWS@ELCASCO.ELCA.ORG
Date 16 Jan 1997 17:38:24

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

January 17, 1997

LUTHERAN SCHOOLS SERVING OTHERS
97-02-005-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Students, faculty and staff of Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America's colleges and universities do more than
study the problem of inadequate housing for low-income families.
Teaming up with Habitat for Humanity, students work to raise
funds and contribute their time and talents to the construction of homes
for families in need.
     "Home for Christmas" is a home building project of Luther College,
Decorah, Iowa, and Winneshiek County Habitat for Humanity.  The
"project exemplifies the ideals of  community service that are part of the
mission of Luther," said Don Kemp, professor of  social work and
coordinator of the project.
     "The goal of Luther's participation in the  Home for Christmas' plan is
not only to build a house for a family in need but also to build connections
and cooperation among all people of the college and the community," said
Kemp.
     "By joining together to take part in a community service project,
students, faulty, staff, administrators and alumni can provide a
tremendous boost to the local Habitat for Humanity organization," said
Lee Zook, professor of social work.  "Perhaps more important, this
project can create some ongoing links between various groups at the
college and between the college and the community," he said.
     A sophomore at Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma, Wa., Tara
Hudiburg spent her spring vacation this year lugging two-by-fours,
swinging hammers, and "chalking the plywood for the air gun.  We
repaired a house that was devastated two years ago by an
earthquake.  The owner of the house is a woman who is 80 years old,"
explained Hudiburg.  "She spent about $30,000 trying to get the house
fixed, but the contractor ran off with the money.  We've all heard that
story before.  People like to take advantage of  the elderly," she said.
     "All of Habitat's labor is volunteer and that is where we come in," said
Hudiburg.  "We had a great crew of students.  We finished far more than
the contractor thought we would and still had a day and a half left.  The
funny thing is we all wished we could stay and work an extra week.  It
was so much fun and, compared to the stress of school, it was
incredibly relaxing."
     Concordia College, Moorhead, Minn., "has one of the largest Habitat
for Humanity campus groups in the county," said the Rev. W. Robert
Sorensen, executive director for the ELCA Division for Higher Education
and Schools.
     "Concordia will send 140 students to 9 different Habitat for Humanity
sites during the 1997 spring break," said Phil E. Holtan, senior campus
pastor.  "We send more students to participate in Habitat for Humanity
projects than any other college in the country," said Holtan.
     "Working for Habitat for Humanity has made me aware of issues
surrounding people in need," said Corlin Allrich, student and chapter
president for Concordia's Habitat for Humanity program.  "I plan to
continue working for Habitat after graduation," he said.
     Jason Brodsky, a sophomore at Muhlenburg College, Allentown, Pa.,
plans to spend his 1997 spring vacation working for Habitat for Humanity
in Columbus, Georgia.   " I like doing service work," said Brodsky.  "I
enjoy seeing the smile on the faces of  families we work with and the
sense of accomplish after a job well-done."
     Brodsky will be accompanied by 20 other Muhlenburg students.  "We
are trying to raise money to pay for our travel expenses," said Brodsky.
"We are writing letters to Lutheran churches in the community asking for
donations.  We have had a great response."
     Augsburg College, Minneapolis, and several neighborhood partners
have banded together to help build a Habitat for Humanity house in the
Seward neighborhood -- six blocks from campus.  Relying on donated
resources from the community, including funding, volunteer labor and
building materials, Habitat for Humanity has built homes for 120 families in
the Twin Cities.  The average home costs $40,000 to build and is sold
at cost; families get 20-year, interest-free-financing.
     The ELCA has a relationship with Habitat for Humanity International for
1996-1999, based on action taken by the ELCA Church Council.  The
Division for Church in Society is the unit responsible for this partnership
in coordination with other units of the church.
     Among other things, the ELCA will encourage the study of the
problem of inadequate housing, assume that individual
construction/rehabilitation projects will merit consideration for financial
support by individuals, congregations and synods, promote both
long-term and short-term opportunities for volunteer service with local
affiliates in other countries and remember Habitat for Humanity
International in prayer and participate in the International Day of Prayer
and Action for Human Habitat.
     Habitat for Humanities is a national nonprofit organization that build
homes for low-income families.  The organization celebrates its 20th year
anniversary in 1997.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Dir.,  (773) 380-2958 or AHAFFTEN@ELCA.ORG;
Frank Imhoff, Assoc. Dir., (773) 380-2955 or FRANKI@ELCA.ORG;