From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Hunger Program Announces Grant Program For Church-based

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 17 Jan 1997 14:50:15

16-January-1997

97028           Hunger Program Announces Grant Program
                  For Church-based Hunger Ministries

                           by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-- Applications are now being accepted for $500 grants to
fund hunger ministries in Presbyterian churches, according to the Rev. Gary
Cook, associate for national hunger ministries in the Presbyterian Hunger
Program (PHP).

 The grant program will initially be limited to one grant per presbytery.
Money for the grants will come from the One Great Hour of Sharing offering.

 "We're going to be getting money out to churches that need it ... and also
doing the public policy work that is needed," said Cook, who says that
churches are anticipating more requests for assistance since the Welfare
Reform Act was approved by Congress last fall and states were given leeway
to reduce food stamp allotments.

 So, according to Cook, parishes that run hunger ministries -- be it food
pantries or feeding programs -- are worried about doing more in a day when
both money and resources are dwindling.

 He said the public policy debate on this issue will be helped by
statistics gathered from churches receiving the grants, since figures from
voluntary agencies will have more credibility with legislators than those
compiled by Washington-based lobbies whose jobs often depend on maintaining
or expanding welfare and food stamp assistance.  "We can look at what the
demand was at the end of '96 -- and what the demand was at the end of '97
and '98.

 "If the Congress is  right and these new program [cuts] fix everything, by
the end of '98, the demand should be going down," he said.

 Cook said data will be shared with the Presbyterian Washington Office for
its advocacy work  on nutrition issues.

 Congregations will be asked to submit grant requests through their
presbyteries.  Presbyteries will be asked to prioritize the requests on the
basis of need and to forward applications to the Presbyterian Hunger
Program by March 31, Cook told the Presbyterian News Service.  Grants will
be allocated immediately upon receipt of the presbytery certified
applications.

 Applications may be requested by calling the Hunger Ministry Help Line
after Jan. 20 at 1-888-PHP-FOOD.  The help line is staffed by volunteers
from the Community Church of the Rockies in Estes Park, Colo., and also
offers information, resources and referrals regarding hunger ministries.
Forms are also being sent to presbytery offices.

 The Rev. Lenton Gunn Jr., pastor of the St. James Presbyterian Church in
New York City and chair of the PHP Advisory Committee, said it is his
impression that more women with small children are coming to his church for
help since passage of the federal welfare and food stamp legislation.
"Sometimes," he said, "I just give them money out of my pocket, sometimes
out of the deacon's fund and other times out of the pastor's benevolence
fund.

 "I've not always kept records," he said, stressing the need to get figures
about what he believes is a changing population seeking help.  "We've
always had people coming to the door.  There's been a lot of men.  But more
women are coming now."

 Gunn said that St. James feeds about 150 people in the church's gymnasium
every Saturday.  He believes that churches, foundations, private industry
and government together can "probably make a significant difference" in
getting the hungry fed in the United States, as President Bill Clinton is
proposing.  "We can always find a way to do more," he said, "a bit more.
But how much?

 "You can't dump [all assistance] down on the churches and say,  You all
take care of this,'" Gunn said.  "With all the cuts in welfare, they're
saying we'll see the impact of this two years down the road, but we're
seeing some of it now," Gunn told the Presbyterian News Service.

 Cook is reluctant to say that churches will be able to absorb more clients
in parish-based hunger programs, noting that some churches with
long-running hunger ministries are reporting burn-out among volunteers and
are frightened about the prospect of increased demand.  "Some of the
programs [cut by Congress] are programs that provided commodities to food
pantries," said Cook, adding that corporate donations to food banks are
also decreasing.

 "These combined factors  reduce resources available to church-based food
pantries at a time when the demand is increasing.  That's the bind we're
in," he told the Presbyterian News Service.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073