From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Worldwide Ministries Division Reaffirms Partnership With

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 25 Jan 1997 07:17:40

Self-development of People 24-January-1997
97041

             Worldwide Ministries Division Reaffirms
           Partnership With Self-development of People

                         by Julian Shipp

LOS ANGELES--During a Jan. 18 meeting here deemed "mutually beneficial,"
the Worldwide Ministries Division (WMD) reaffirmed its partnership with the
national Presbyterian Committee on the Self-Development of People (SDOP) by
simply asking, "What can we do to help you?"

     Arranged to give both entities an opportunity to discuss a variety of
issues, the meeting enabled representatives from the WMD and the Steering
Committee of SDOP to meet for nearly two hours following SDOP's business
meeting that same day.  Called by the WMD, the consultation was described
as both welcome and significant by the respective committee chairs.

     "We are all in this together,"said Gene McKelvey of Houston, WMD
Committee chair. "And I have been progressively frustrated by the level of
ignorance that people have of this [SDOP] committee. We have got to begin
to market all of ourselves -- otherwise we're all going to be in trouble.

     "I'm tired of cutting budgets and people talking about staff doing
this and staff doing that," added McKelvey. "The only substitute for bad
ideas is better ideas. The trend of the church is that all kinds of
programs are being trivialized and we've got to reverse that."

     "I think that this was the beginning of a dialogue," Cynthia Joe of
San Francisco, national SDOP Committee and Steering Committee chair, told
the Presbyterian News Service. "We had never had a conversation with the
[WMD] before and I think we are both beginning to understand now where each
of us is coming from."

     By the end of the meeting, participants had hammered out a joint list
of goals for both organizations to work toward realizing. They included

     *    opening additional lines of communication
     *    using the strength of both agencies more effectively
     *    achieving more dialogue in terms of the operational processes of
          both organizations
     *    bringing the elected members of both groups together for
          additional discussion.

     In addition to McKelvey, WMD representatives were Gwen Crawley of
Louiville, WMD interim director; Peter Pizor of Cody, Wyo., a WMD Committee
member; Sylvia Wilson of Kansas City, Mo., a WMD Committee member and a
previous SDOP liaison; Kew Sun Chai of Northbrook, Ill., a WMD Committee
member and current SDOP liaison; and Dan O. Rift of Louisville, WMD
associate director for global service and witness.

     In addition to Joe, SDOP Steering Committee members present were the
Rev. Jean Anne Swope of Santa Fe, N.M.; the Rev. Warner Durnell of
Nashville, Tenn.; the Rev. John Koppitch of Indianapolis, Ind.; Oscar
Heyward of Howard Beach, N.Y. (national SDOP Committee vice chair); Dr.
Marjorie W. Hesler of Montezuma, Ind.; Tavita Dorow of Lubbock, Texas; the
Rev. Kay-Robert Volkwijn of Lenexa, Kans.; and Paul Whong of Baltimore, Md.

     SDOP staff attending were the Rev. Fredric T. Walls, SDOP coordinator;
the Rev. Patty Lane, SDOP associate for program development; Cynthia White,
SDOP associate for program administration; and Deborah Harrison, SDOP
senior administrative assistant, all of Louisville, Ky.

     Misunderstood and often maligned since it was organized by the 182nd
General Assembly (1970) of the former United Presbyterian Church in the
United States of America, SDOP is a ministry that works to empower poor,
oppressed and disadvantaged people who are seeking to change the structures
that perpetuate poverty, oppression and injustice.

     SDOP receives the majority of its funds from the One Great Hour of
Sharing offering given annually during Lent by Presbyterians nationwide.
This ecumenical offering provides SDOP the opportunity to enter into
partnerships with communities of need worldwide. It also supports the
Presbyterian Hunger Program and Presbyterian Disaster Assistance. According
to SDOP officials, in 1996 SDOP disbursed $446,764 domestically and
$438,685 internationally to validated projects.

     SDOP is linked administratively to the WMD. However, it has a distinct
element of autonomy since it can (and does) disburse funds to any group,
agency or organization meeting its funding criteria and guidelines. It is
also one of the only programs in the denomination that has its funds and
resources intentionally administered by a committee comprised of a majority
of racial-ethnic people.

     "Politically, the fact that people would question [SDOP] because of
the way it is [administratively and racially] structured is sinful," Rift
said.

     Even so, SDOP officials acknowledge there are improvement
opportunities -- particularly with regard to communication and the
frequency with which unreleased, assigned money is disbursed. To that end,
SDOP has approved and implemented a three-year plan designed to enhance its
communication resources and address its unassigned fund balance and the
possiblility of increasing its fundable partnerships.

     "Frankly, I think we have missed a lot of witnessing opportunities out
there in the Presbyterian Church," Durnell said. "We have not done a very
good job of interpreting what SDOP is all about."

     "We must get people to adopt a new mind-set about SDOP, because as I
see it,  the atmosphere in the church and the whole country is not
conducive to poor people being empowered," Volkwijn said.

     Yet at a time when PC(USA) members are seeking greater voice in the
decision- and policy-making processes of the church, Koppitch said he
believes SDOP leads the way in building trust and partnership between the
General Assembly and other governing bodies.

     "[SDOP] is one entity where the decision-making is done by the people
in the pew, people making decisions about local mission dollars that I
think we should really be lifting up," Koppitch said.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073