From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Grana Resigns 'Upper Room' Post

From owner-umethnews@ecunet.org
Date 06 Feb 1997 14:40:17

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS" by SUSAN PEEK on Aug. 11, 1991 at 13:58 Eastern,
about FULL TEXT RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (3421 notes).

Note 3418 by UMNS on Feb. 6, 1997 at 15:54 Eastern (2042 characters).

SEARCH: Upper Room, Janice T. Grana, United Methodist, Board of
Discipleship
Produced by United Methodist News Service, official news agency of
the United Methodist Church, with offices in Nashville, Tenn., New
York, and Washington.

CONTACT: Thomas S. McAnally                    64(10-21-71B){3418}
         Nashville, Tenn. (615) 742-5470              Feb. 6, 1997

Janice Grana to leave Upper Room
editor and publisher position

     NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) -- Janice T. Grana, editor and
publisher of The Upper Room since 1984, will leave that position
as soon as another person is named to fill the post.
     Grana will move to North Carolina with her husband who plans
to return to the pastorate of a local church, according to a
release issued here Feb. 5 by the United Methodist Board of
Discipleship.  She will continue to work with The Upper Room as an
editor in the book department through a telecommuting
relationship.
     "The decision to leave the position of editor and publisher
has been a truly difficult one for me," said Grana.  "Our family
has been struggling for months to discern God's call in our lives.
But with the passage of time, my husband and I have become more
convinced that this is God's leading in our lives."
     Grana joined The Upper Room staff in 1971 as an editorial
associate with primary responsibility for editing and planning
alive now! magazine.  She became director of devotional literature
in 1974 and was named executive director of publishing and
associate world editor in 1979.  In 1984, she was named editor and
publisher of The Upper Room, the first woman named to that
position.
     Before joining the Board of Discipleship staff she served as
a high school English teacher and as a director of youth work.
She has a B.A. Degree from Winthrop College, and an M.A. Degree
from the Presbyterian School of Christian Education.  She also
holds a degree in French from the Ecole d'Administration in
Belgium.
                              #  #  #