From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

PHEWA Honors John Thomas, Carlos Gutierrez

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 03 Feb 1997 10:58:59

29-January-1997
97048

            PHEWA Honors John Thomas, Carlos Gutierrez

                      by Jerry L. Van Marter

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--The Rev. John R. Thomas, for more than 50 years a
Presbyterian military, hospital and college chaplain, received the
Presbyterian Health, Education and Welfare Association (PHEWA) John Park
Lee Award during the association's biennial conference here Jan. 16-19.

     Thomas, who was ordained in 1944 and as an institutional chaplain
helped found PHEWA, used his acceptance speech at the Jan. 18 award
luncheon to criticize what he called "our contemporary idolatry of health."

     Conceding that his opinion  "will not be a particularly popular
stance," Thomas argued strongly for the right to physician-assisted suicide
in cases of terminal illness.  Noting that two-thirds of all medical
expenses in the United States are incurred by people during the last six
months of their lives, Thomas said, "It is time for we who believe in the
power of resurrection to have the right to voluntarily end our lives and
save precious resources for younger people."

     The church needs to encourage both faith communities and medical
practitioners "to talk about faith and death, not just faith and healing,
when we are faced with terminal illness," Thomas said. Modern medicine has
made it possible to prolong life, he added, "but we also have a right to
choose not to prolong our dying."

     In the United States, Thomas insisted, "We treat our animals better
than humans.  How many people are alive today with terminal illnesses who
don't want to be?  The only way you can die legally is to refuse medical
care and feeding."  If a person can refuse care that would prolong life,
Thomas asked, why can't a person ask for care that won't prolong it?

     The John Park Lee Award has been presented at each PHEWA biennial
conference since 1969 "to recognize and perpetuate the qualities of
concern, sensitivity and involvement singularly exemplified in John Park
Lee," who helped establish Presbyterian health and welfare ministries that
came together in the founding of PHEWA in 1956.

     Carlos Gutierrez, a native of Mexico City who immigrated to the United
States at age 15 and was educated in Presbyterian mission schools here, was
given the Rodney T. Martin Award for long-term service to PHEWA.
Gutierrez, who is currently associate executive for Hispanic ministries in
the Synod of the Southwest, has been involved in migrant ministries since
1961.  He was president of PHEWA from 1993 to 1995.

     Reflecting on the criticism of PHEWA by some in the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.) in recent years, Gutierrez said, "I do not understand it --
PHEWA doesn't have to be defended.  We are doing what Jesus commanded us to
do!"

     Gutierrez challenged PHEWA members to stand up, not just to their
critics, but to denominational officials as well.  "Stand up to 100
Witherspoon [the location of the General Assembly's offices] and tell them
what you want and need from the church as you seek to serve others in the
name of Jesus Christ," he insisted.

     The Rodney T. Martin Award is named for the Presbyterian elder who
served as PHEWA's executive director from 1972 through 1990.

     PHEWA is a voluntary membership organization "dedicated to the
enactment of social welfare and justice ministries" mandated by the General
Assembly.  It comprises 10 networks: Community Ministries and Neighborhood
Organizations (COMANO); Presbyterian AIDS Network (PAN); Presbyterians
Affirming Reproductive Options (PARO); Presbyterian Association of
Specialized Pastoral Ministries (PASPM); Presbyterian Child Advocacy
Network (PCAN); Presbyterians for Disabilities Concerns (PDC); Presbyterian
Health Network (PHN); Presbyterian Network on Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse
(PNAODA); Presbyterian Mental Illness Network (PMIN); and Urban
Presbyterian Pastors Association (UPPA).

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073