From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA Response to Clinton's "State of the Union" on

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org
Date 04 Feb 1997 15:23:33

Volunteerism

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: Carol J. Fouke, NCC, 212-870-2252
Internet: carolf@ncccusa.org

Response to State of the Union

for release February 4

`The National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA (NCCC) believes
that the churches are receptive to President Clinton's challenge to volunteer
and will provide active support," The Rev. Dr. Joan Brown Campbell, The
Council's General Secretary stated in response to the President's State of the

Union message. "Volunteering has always been the religious way. Religious
commitment has long brought both heart and soul to community service,"

Today Dr. Campbell announced that The National Council of Churches will
work through its nationwide staff and related ecumenical networks to develop
the church's response to the President's call. "I believe our offices across
the
country can provide the clearinghouse for volunteering and for matching
congregations with families needing assistance. Our purpose will continue to
be to work at healing human hurt and opening doors of employment
opportunities, educational development and health care. I want it to be a
large
ecumenical response."

Specifically she cited the National Council's programs of urban and rural non-
sectarian volunteer services to low income people across the nation. "We
estimate that in addition to the thousands of young adults now actively placed

as volunteers, there are at least 8,000 local settings which are potential
sites
for additional volunteers and for new mentored job placement possibilities for

families currently or formerly receiving welfare support."

The Council's Ecumenical Program for Urban Service (EPRUS) is an example
of a government-church partnership in which the federal government's
AmeriCorps program provides $10.5 million in stipends, scholarship aid and
administration. Hundreds of local church-sponsored community service sites
provide $21.6 million. "The result is that 1,800 young adults serve people in
need for an entire year. The bonus for everyone is that these young people
learn about the community by living in it and develop a life-time habit of
helping others;" Campbell continued.

The NCCC plan for the next 12 months includes an expansion of the
AmeriCorps partnership from 1,800 to 5,000 young people, the creation of a
summer service program for hundreds of youth volunteers and joining in the
America Reads initiative including expansion of work-study opportunities for
college students in community service projects.

Also, the National Council's CROP office network across the country will be
called on for volunteer and welfare recipient service. The National Council's
Deputy General Secretary, The Rev. Dr. Rodney I. Page, also Director of
Church World Service and Witness (CWSW), committed Church World
Service's resources and staff to the nationwide program. "Our mandate has
always been to serve hurting people world wide. Most have thought of this as
only overseas. By serving the needs of congregations and families in this
country, we will make it dramatically clear that our work has always been
defined by human need, not by distance or geography. We hope CROP
walkers and CWSW supporters will actively respond also to the social and
human hurt at home. I believe this is a right opportunity for timely human
service."

"Other ecumenical partners in such arenas as refugee placement and local and
regional councils of churches will be invited to participate," Dr. Campbell
stated. "Partnerships will be sought with evangelical congregations and others

not in Council membership. My firm intention is to confer with the President
of the National Association of Evangelicals, Dr. Donald Argue. I know his
interests in serving what is good for all people and I believe in our common
commitment to volunteering and to addressing human need."

Rev. Campbell explained, "We believe America's churches will respond
positively because of our long tradition of engaging social hurt with
commitment and caring. It prepares us to volunteer and to help the poor. In
our partnerships with government no government funds are used for religious
activities and there is no discrimination on the basis of religion in either
the
delivery of services or hiring practices." Already churches, synagogues,
mosques and other religious communities are providing literacy education,
sponsoring substance abuse programs, addressing community crime and
violence, running supplementary meal programs, operating after school
programs, tutoring in and out of public school and delivering a variety of
health services in low income neighborhoods.

The Rev. Dr. Albert M. Pennybacker, the Council's Associate General
Secretary for Public Policy, pointed out, "We do not believe that individual
help and private charity alone can relieve the chronic hurt people experience.

Our concern for basic social provisions will continue. Charity is needed but
it
cannot make religious people complicitous with anemic or harsh public
policies. However, we welcome the opportunity for a partnership with
government that can build on social service we have long been doing quietly
and with only modest resources."

"Further we do not intend to abandon our historic commitment to religious
liberty and a level playing field for all religious groups in our country. We
continue to believe that the separation of church and state has served us well

and must not be tampered with or diminished. We find it distracting and
perhaps even cynical for the tragic social condition of poverty to be tied to
the
political issue of church/state separation as some propose. We need to allow
our nation's  capacity for voluntary service and our shared address to the
poor
to stand free of any political agenda."

Rev. Campbell indicated that the full attention of the National Council of
Churches of Christ in the USA will be given to responding to the President's
challenge. Steps will be taken immediately to invite volunteers, congregations

and families in need into a partnership of service.

Volunteer call

3

-0-