From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA Visit Reports on North Korea Food

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org
Date 07 Feb 1997 10:50:19

Shortages

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
U.S.A.
Contact: Carol J. Fouke, NCC, 212-870-2252
Internet: carolf@ncccusa.org

NCC2/3/97   FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC/CWS DELEGATION TO NORTH KOREA REPORTS ON FOOD
SHORTAGES;
CWS RICE SHIPMENT ARRIVES; BARLEY SEED IS ON THE WAY

 NEW YORK, Feb. 3 ---- A National Council of
Churches delegation to North Korea Jan. 21-28 came
face-to-face with that nation's "grim" food shortage
situation and appealed for a "massive response" from
the world community to avert starvation.

"I am convinced after being there that the crisis
is for real," said the delegation's leader, United
Methodist Bishop Melvin Talbert of Sacramento, Calif.,
who is NCC President.  "The North Korean government is
laying aside its pride and appealing to the world
community to save its people."

 To help meet food and other basic needs, Church
World Service, the NCC's humanitarian response arm,
collected $410,932 in 1995-96 for aid for North Korea,
which was used to purchase rice, beef, antibiotics,
blankets and rehydration tablets.  On Jan. 27, the
delegation witnessed the off-loading of the latest CWS
aid shipment of nearly 670 metric tons of rice at
Nampo Port.

 "The rice comes none too soon," reported the Rev.
Dr. Rodney Page of New York City, CWS Executive
Director and a Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
minister.  "North Korea's grain reserves have run
out."

Such chronic difficulties as a lack of foreign
exchange for buying food, limited access to credit and
a large international debt have been aggravated by
widespread crop losses from hail and floods during the
past three years, he explained.  Furthermore, 80
percent of the land is mountainous and not very
arable.

"Deaths from hunger already are being reported,
and the nation is on the threshold of massive
starvation, unless the world community comes forward
with assistance," Dr. Page said.  "We were told that
July may be the watershed."

 Church World Service in January issued a new
$500,000 appeal for North Korea.  The nine-member NCC
delegation had among its purposes to assess the needs
and priorities of CWS emergency relief assistance in
North Korea, and on Jan. 24 the delegation faxed back
an urgent appeal that the first $150,000 be used for
barley seed for planting in March.

 The seed will be used in a special "double
cropping" experiment beginning this year in North
Korea.  An early spring variety of barley seeds will
be planted in March for harvest in June, after which
rice will be planted.

 By Feb. 3, NCC/CWS member denominations had
pledged $90,000 toward the $150,000 goal: $15,000 from
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ); $50,000 from
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.); $5,000 from Reformed
Church in America, and $20,000 from United Church of
Christ.  In addition, the Church of the Brethren has
designated $35,000 toward the appeal through Mercy
Corps, an international non-governmental organization.

 The NCC delegation was hosted by the Korean
Christians Federation and the Flood Damage
Rehabilitation Committee.  (About one-fourth of North
Korea's population has been affected by the flooding,
and an estimated 500,000 are displaced.)  The
delegation met with both church and government
officials, including Mr. Kim Young Sun, Secretary of
the Central Committee of the Workers Party and
Chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee of the
Supreme People's Committee, who hosted a dinner for
the delegation.

 North Korea also is suffering a severe energy
crisis, a function of its isolation from the world
community and its lack of fossil fuels.  An
international agreement to equip North Korea with
heavy fuel oil and nuclear power in exchange for that
nation's dismantling its nuclear weapons capability
remains to be fully implemented, said Victor W.C. Hsu,
Director of the NCC/CWS East Asia and Pacific Office,
New York, and a Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) member.

 Delegation members described seeing people
"cutting trees for fuel" along the roadsides.  "We
would see freshly cut trees, and people carrying wood
or dragging away tree trunks," said the Rev. Melvin H.
Luetchens, Director of the CWS Community Education an
Fund Raising Program, Elkhart, Ind., a United
Methodist.  "Of course, this 'trimming out' aggravates
flooding."

 Temperatures were well below freezing during the
delegation's visit.  The group ate with overcoats on
at an unheated hotel in Kaisong, and was told that the
lights go out in that town for days at a time.  Train
travel can take three times longer than usual because
of power outages.

Many government offices and businesses are closed
so that employees "can be out finding food and fuel or
earning extra money to buy it at very high prices,"
Mr. Luetchens said.  "And even though there is a
government food ration of 200 to 400 grams a day, many
people haven't even been getting that."  It takes 450
grams of food a day to maintain adequate nutrition, he
said - more when it is extremely cold.

 Besides their own meetings for prayer each
evening, delegation members joined in prayers at the
38th Parallel (the dividing line between North and
South Korea), an official state dinner, and in worship
at the Bongsu Church, one of three church buildings in
North Korea, all in Pyongyang.

 "We are here even though we are on different
sides politically," Bishop Talbert said again and
again during the visit.  "Because we don't identify
with any one government, we can relate to both North
and South.  We are here to reach out with humanitarian
aid regardless of ideology or faith.  We come because
our Christian faith admonishes us to come."
Government officials understood that, affirmed Mr.
Luetchens.

 The Bongsu Church choir sang "How Great Thou
Art," including a verse in English.  Preaching was a
delegation member, the Rev. Dr. Syngman Rhee,
Associate Director of Ecumenical Partners in the
Worldwide Ministries Division, Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.), Louisville, Ky., who fled his native North
Korea at the beginning of the Korean War.  He is a
former NCC President.

 "We ended the morning by presenting a gift to the
church and joining hands in a circle all around the
sanctuary singing, 'God Be With You Till We Meet
Again,' each in our own language," Mr. Luetchens said.
"It was a gripping experience.  The sanctuary had no
heat and the temperature was well below freezing.  We
could see our breaths when we sang.  But our hearts
were warmed immensely."

 The group also visited the Chilgol Church
(Protestant), where it prayed and sang with the
pastors and a small group gathered to greet the
delegation, and stopped by the Jangchung Catholic
Church and the Buddhist temple just outside the city.
An estimated 10,000 of North Korea's 23 million
citizens are Christians.

 Among themes touched during the visit was the
pain of the 40-year-old division of Korea into North
and South that has separated an estimated 10 million
family members.  That will be among topics at a March
17-19 meeting in the United States (most likely New
York City), hosted by the National Council of
Churches.  The NCC will host representatives of the
Korean Christians Federation (North Korea) and
National Council of Churches in Korea (NCCK-South
Korea) for discussions on the role of the churches in
U.S.-Korea relations.

 Besides Bishop Talbert, Dr. Page, the Revs. Rhee
and Luetchens and Mr. Hsu, the NCC delegation members
were: Dr. Insik Kim, Coordinator for East Asia, and
the Rev. Daniel Owen Rift, Associate Director for
Worldwide Ministries, both with the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.); Dr. Ching-fen Hsiao, Asia Pacific
Executive Secretary for the United Church of
Christ/Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), and the
Rev. Linda Petrucelli, Secretary for Global Sharing of
Resources, United Church of Christ.

-end-

Please Note: Contributions to the CWS humanitarian
response in North Korea may be sent to: Church World
Service, Attn. North Korea Program, P.O. Box 968,
Elkhart, IN 46515.  Phone pledges or credit card
donations: 1-800-762-0968.  Church World Service is on
the World Wide Web at www.ncccusa.org - click on the
CWS icon.
-0-