From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA Head Appeals for Justice Following Journalist's Assassination

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org
Date 07 Feb 1997 15:30:36

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: Wendy McDowell, NCC, 212-870-2227
Internet: c/o carolf@ncccusa.org

NCC2/7/97                     FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC GENERAL SECRETARY ENCOURAGES PRESIDENT OF
ARGENTINA TO PRESS FOR JUSTICE OVER KILLING OF
JOURNALIST

 NEW YORK, Feb. 7 ---- Following is the text of
a letter dated Feb. 6, 1997, from National Council
of Churches (NCC) General Secretary the Rev. Dr.
Joan Brown Campbell to the Honorable Carlos S.
Menem, President of the Republic of Argentina.  Dr.
Campbell asks Mr. Menem to make "all possible
efforts to clarify the motives and identify those
responsible" for the assassination of journalist
Luis Cabezas.  Mr. Cabezas was investigating
corruption among the police force and post office
staff when he was killed.

Dear Mr. President:

 International public opinion is deeply
concerned over the brutal assassination of the
journalist Luis Cabezas in the early hours of
January 26, not only for its significance to freedom
of the press, but also because this action appears
to openly challenge democracy in your country.

 Mr. President, your words condemning this act
encourage us and we hope that all possible efforts
will be carried out to clarify the motives and
identify those responsible for this act.  It is our
hope that this crime is not in vain and moves your
government and all sectors in your country to seek
ways of bringing to an end all forms of intolerance
that we thought had been overcome in Argentina.  Mr.
President, we feel that it is vital that you take
the necessary measures to ensure tranquility to
those who work in the mass media, to enable these
persons to carry out their work free of interference
and free of fear to express their opinions.

 Receive our respectful greetings,

The Rev. Dr. Joan Brown Campbell
General Secretary

-end-