From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

APCE Honors its Own During Celebration

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 11 Feb 1997 07:56:35

10-February-1997
97071

                    APCE Honors its Own During
              Celebration of Service and Achievement

                         by Julian Shipp

SAN DIEGO, Calif.--Some special members of the Association of Presbyterian
Church Educators (APCE) have new feathers in their respective professional
caps since they were honored by APCE here Feb. 6 during a celebration of
service and achievement at the world-famous San Diego Zoo.

     Honored as this year's APCE Educator of the Year was Rodger Nishioka,
recently appointed as coordinator of youth and young adult ministries in
the Congregational Ministries Division and a full-time student at McCormick
Theological Seminary in Chicago.

     "I am truly grateful to you and grateful to God for God's hand shown
to me in life though love and kindness," Nishioka told his audience of
several hundred Christian educators gathered in Wedgeforth Brown
Amphitheatre.  "Friends, it has been an amazing journey through these
years, and if there's anything at the old age of 36 I know, it's that this
award reminds me that you and I, whenever we do things, we do things
together."

     Nishioka, who plans to pursue a Ph.D. in religious education and hopes
to serve in a Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) seminary as a professor of
Christian education, challenged Christian educators to remain at the
forefront of the denomination's leadership pool.

     "We are the educators of Christ's church and we run together,"
Nishioka said. "When our denominations are in struggle and in conflict, our
message to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.), the Presbyterian Church in Canada and the Reformed Church in
America [partner denominations in APCE] is  Come on, wake up, people.' We
are the educators of Christ's church, and like it or not, we are all
running together."

     Selected as recipients of the 1997 APCE Life Achievement Award were
Betty Cromwell of Whittier, Calif.; Martha Holman of Atlantic Beach, Fla.;
and Nancy Darter of Chapel Hill, N.C. This year's Val Murphy Scholarship
recipients were Marianne Bridgeman of San Anselmo, Calif., and Rebecca
D'Angelo of Youngstown, N.Y.

     Educators certified since the 1996 APCE event were Roberta Arrowsmith
of Newton, Pa.; Jean Davidson of Nashville, Tenn.; Kathy Dawson of Mobile,
Ala.; Gladys Dillard of Fort Wood, Mo.; David Endriss of Hatlock, Minn.;
Marilyn Johns of Germantown, Md.; Melinda Kerry of Corning, N.Y.; Dana
Marzolf of Belle Vernon, Pa.; Libby Schroeder of Shelby, N.C.; and Michael
Waschevski of Bedford, Texas.

     Featured speaker the Rev. Doug Adams, professor of Christianity and
the arts at Pacific School of Religion and member of the doctoral faculty
of Graduate Theological Union, Berkeley, Calif., revealed many examples of
humor in Jesus' parables and miracles and demonstrated several methods for
bringing that humor to life.

     A noted lecturer and author, Adams said, "Like grandparent stories,
these Jesus stories tell us more of the truth of life with many rough
edges, including unethical or ambiguous characters and surprising
incomplete endings, and so we laugh with hope to live through the rough
times in our lives.  Jesus does not tell the story of a perfect dinner
party, but rather a busted banquet."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073