From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Youth Have a Church to Run

From ELCANEWS@ELCASCO.ELCA.ORG
Date 18 Feb 1997 13:57:43

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

February 17, 1997

LUTHERAN YOUTH HAVE A CHURCH TO RUN
97-04-009-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- "Listen up, people.  We have a church to
run.  Contribute to it, please," Karris Golden told about 100
youth and their adult advisors who gathered here Feb. 7-9 for the
Council of Synod Lutheran Youth Organization (LYO) Presidents'
meeting.  Golden is president of the LYO, the youth ministry of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.  The council
consists of 64 representatives of youth organizations in the
ELCA's 65 synods across the United States and Caribbean.
     "To build the church of tomorrow you must remember to be
leaders in the church today," said Golden.  "We have been
leaders in this church, and we continue to play a significant role,"
she said.
     Through worship, a "Talk Show" with ELCA Presiding Bishop
H. George Anderson,  and workshops, synod LYO presidents
celebrated "how God continues to bless the church with diversity
and visionary leaders."
     "It will be the youth that move this church into
multiculturalism," said Anderson in response to questions from
the group.  "The youth of today are interested in action and
participation," he added.
     Workshop topics included AIDS awareness, the basics of
communication and publicity, world hunger, persons with
disabilities and convention planning.
     The synod LYO presidents passed resolutions asking the
LYO  to facilitate contact with all synod bishops encouraging
sufficient financial support of youth ministry in synods and
congregations.  Groups of synods and regions should create
affordable programs and events that would involve all ethnic,
socioeconomic classes and persons with disabilities.
     Another resolution calls for the board to continue
encouraging an open, non-judgmental discourse with the
lesbian/bisexual/gay communities within synods and
congregations.
     The president's resolutions will be presented at the fourth
triennial LYO convention in New Orleans this summer.
     "Resolutions provide direction for the Lutheran Youth
Organization.  Resolutions and recommendations are important
in determining our future," said chairperson Norah Bringer, a
freshman at Luther College, Decorah, Iowa.  Luther is one of 28
colleges and universities associated with the ELCA.
     "I am always impressed and inspired by the youth of the
church.  It is a gift to be with them and experience their many
gifts of leadership and compassion.  We are lucky as a church to
have this resource," said the Rev. Andrea DeGroot-Nesdahl,
bishop of the ELCA's South Dakota Synod.
     DeGroot-Nesdahl will preach for the opening worship service
at the LYO convention.  "I am very honored to be asked as an
adult and as a bishop to preach at the convention," she said.
     The group elected Jason Schermerhorn, Westerville, Ohio,
chair.  Schermerhorn will serve on the LYO board for a 3-year
term along with Jill Craps, Lexington, S.C., secretary.  Mary
Sima, Solon, Ohio, and Nathan Jackson, Jersey City, N.J.,
representatives to the ELCA Church Council.
     The Council of Synod LYO Presidents is an advisory group to
the board of the ELCA's Lutheran Youth Organization.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html