From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Re: AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS FOR FEBRUARY 21,1997

From LEAH_MCCARTER.parti@ecunet.org
Date 28 Feb 1997 16:19:20

To: wfn-editors@wfn.org

American Baptist News Service_____________________
Office of Communication / American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Richard W. Schramm, Director (E-mail:
RICH_SCHRAMM.PARTI@ECUNET.ORG)

_________________________________

UPDATE: FEBRUARY 28, 1997
_____________________

o  An American Baptist International Ministries staff
Zaire Crisis Management Team met Feb. 27 to assess
the current situation in Zaire and to strategize
evacuation plans for their missionaries should that
become
advisable for their safety.  This is a preparatory
measure, as their situation so far appears to be safe.
In addition
to current staff members, the team also includes Dr.
Charles Stuart, former missionary to Zaire, as well as
former
staff member and former Philippines missionary Ann
Borquist, who is serving as convener.  Area Director
Evelyn Hillman already has asked International Ministries
missionaries in Zaire to work in consultation with each
other on determining conditions by which they would
evaluate their position and for setting up plans for
their
departure if conditions warrant it.  The team has been
established as political and military conditions appear
deteriorate in Zaire.  International Ministries staff
note that they are making every effort to follow
developments
through electronic communications from missionaries, U.
S. State Department Travel Advisories and international
news services.

o  A new devotional resource, Holding Children in Prayer:
A Lenten Guide, has been produced by the
Children s Defense Fund in partnership with the National
Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.  The
availability of the new Guide was announced by Brenda
Tribett, director of Children s Ministries and Black
Church Education for American Baptist Educational
Ministries.  According to Marian Wright Edelman,
executive
director of the Children s Defense Fund, the Guide was
developed in response to the need for greater spiritual
sustenance and a positive vision for the work of
faith-based advocates for children.  Contributing writers
from a
variety of Christian traditions include participants in
Stand For Children, a June 1996 event in Washington,
D.C.,
attended by over 200,000 persons of every age, race,
income and faith.  The Guide, while especially useful
during the Lenten season, encourages reflection and
prayer at any time.  Each meditation, focusing on love
for
and faithful ministry with children, is prefaced by a
biblical lesson and followed by a prayer.  Suitable for
use in
individual times of prayer and devotion, in small prayer
or Bible study groups and in worship services, the Guide
includes suggestions for ministries of service as well as
resources and opportunities for faith-based advocates for
children.  "As we reflect on our Lenten journeys, we must
remember to hold all children in our prayers," said
Tribett.  "Children are one of the most vulnerable age
groups in our society today.  We need to find ways to
nurture and care for children in our community,
especially those who might not otherwise have anyone else
care."  Free copies of the Guide are available by calling
Tribett at 1-800-ABC-3USA, ext. 2149.

o  Biennial Meeting note:  The fee for those visitors
attending only evening worship plenaries at the 1997
Biennial Meeting, June 24-27 in Indianapolis, is (per
evening) $3 per person and $2 per person in groups of ten
or more.  A registration counter will be in operation
each day outside of Exhibit Hall A.

#111 on Fax Vault, a fax-on-
demand service at (610)337-7439; as "American Baptist
News Service" on ABNET, the American Baptist Churches'
computer network (a
branch of ECUNET); and on the Internet Web sites for
American Baptist Churches USA (http://www.abc-usa.org)
and for World-Wide Faith
News (http://www.wfn.org/wfn).

 -0-