From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Clarifications and Corrections

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 11 Mar 1997 10:37:24

25-February-1997
97096

                  Clarifications and Corrections

     A story in the Feb. 7 issue of "NEWS BRIEFS" about a Presbyterian
Panel survey on AIDS ministries (#97029) failed to report that a majority
of every sample -- pastors, elders, church members and specialized clergy
-- agrees that "People living with AIDS deserve my respect"; "If someone I
knew in my church had AIDS, I would visit them in the hospital"; and "I
would support an AIDS outreach ministry in my church."
     The Presbyterian News Service thanks the Rev. Jerome D. Cooper, pastor
of Central Presbyterian Church in Baltimore, for pointing out this
important omission.

                              # # #

     A story in the Feb. 14 issue of "NEWS BRIEFS" about the Mission
Responsibility Through Investment Committee (#97058) incorrectly reported
that the General Assembly "forbids its agencies" from holding stock in
tobacco and weapons manufacturing companies.  The General Assembly's
investment policies are advisory, not mandatory.

                               ###

     A story in the Feb. 14 issue of "NEWS BRIEFS" about the Societal
Violence Initiative Team (#97056) should have identified Dr. James N.
Poling as professor of pastoral theology and counseling at
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary in Evanston, Ill.

                              # # #

     A story in the Feb. 21 issue of "NEWS BRIEFS" about the Jennie Wimer
Fund in Arizona (#97084) incompletely reported the instruction in Wimer's
bequest.  The full text of the operative instruction in Wimer's will is
that the money be used "to aid the Navajo Indians in becoming Christians
through the work of the Ganado Mission of the Board of National Missions in
any way they deem proper."
     The Presbyterian Foundation was not involved in the decision by the
General Assembly Council (GAC) to give the Wimer Fund bequest to Cook
College and Theological Training School and, in fact, questioned the
propriety of that expenditure.
     Larry Carr, president of the Presbyterian Foundation, said it would be
inappropriate for the Foundation to be involved in the consultations
between the GAC, Grand Canyon Presbytery and the Ganado Presbyterian Church
that were ordered by the Council at its Feb. 8-9 meeting.  Carr also said
the Foundation "has no reason to object" to the current plan for
distribution of the Wimer Fund, given the GAC's pledge to spend $110,000
over the next five years "directly to benefit Navajos."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073