From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Bishop Speaks Out in Israel

From owner-umethnews@ecunet.org
Date 17 Mar 1997 16:10:31

"UNITED METHODIST DAILY NEWS" by SUSAN PEEK on Aug. 11, 1991 at 13:58 Eastern,
about FULL TEXT RELEASES FROM UNITED METHODIST NEWS SERVICE (3497 notes).

Note 3497 by UMNS on March 17, 1997 at 16:04 Eastern (2324 characters).

Produced by United Methodist News Service, official news agency of
the United Methodist Church, with offices in Nashville, Tenn., New
York, and Washington.

CONTACT: Thomas S. McAnally                      143(10-71B){3497}
         Nashville, Tenn. (615) 742-5470            March 18, 1997

NOTE TO EDITORS:  For more background, see UMNS story #120 {3474}
dated March 6, 1997.

Mississippi bishop visiting Israel
speaks out against Jewish settlement

                 by United Methodist News Service

     At the close of a 10-day visit to Israel, United Methodist
Jack Meadors, Jackson, Miss., expressed "deep concern" about
Israeli plans to build a Jewish settlement near Bethlehem.
     On the eve of his departure March 17, Meadors spoke by phone
from Jerusalem with United Methodist News Service.
     "There is plenty of other land where this settlement could be
built," he said. "I can only conclude that it is a provocative act
by the Israeli Government."
     The government has announced plans for 6,500 homes to be
built on a pine-covered area that rises above the community of
Beit Sahour, the traditional  "shepherd's field" in Bethlehem.
     "I visited the site Saturday and all I could see was the
place where the angels announced the birth of Jesus," Meadors
said.
     Critics say the new settlement would effectively isolate
Bethlehem from Jerusalem, keeping Palestinians out, and
establishing the city as the eternal capital of the State of
Israel.
     The bishop said he had spoken with both Israelis and
Palestinians who are against the decision.  "There is tremendous
frustration with the United States for not supporting a UN
resolution condemning the plan," he added.
     In addition to calling for prayers of "reconciliation and
peace," Meadors urged U.S. Christians to contact President Clinton
and members of Congress quickly to express their concern.
     Meadors was the leader of a visiting U.S. group that included
10 recently-ordained clergy from Mississippi.  Echoing the words
of a rabbi who spoke to the group the previous day, Meadors said,
"I wish that all three major faith groups in Israel could realize
that we are all children of Abraham ... brothers and sisters
together in this struggle."
                              #  #  #