From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA Head on Mac Charles Jones Death

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org
Date 07 Mar 1997 11:47:37

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: Carol J. Fouke, NCC News, 212-870-2252
Internet: carol_fouke.parti@ecunet.org

March 7, 1997

Statement by the
 Rev. Dr. Joan Brown Campbell,
General Secretary
National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
USA
on the death of the
Rev. Dr. Mac Charles Jones

In a tragic, sudden moment the Rev. Dr. Mac Charles
Jones has passed from us and we are deeply stricken.
His coming just this week to his post of senior
leadership as Deputy General Secretary and Director
of National Ministries made us confident as we
looked ahead. His ministry was to be to the whole
nation. The loss is enormous.

In his Christian wisdom with ringing voice and
pastoral gentleness Mac Jones combined the very best
in the graces of faithful leader and godly servant.

His awareness of the meaning of the burned churches
and his ministry on their behalf will remain as a
hallmark of his service. We were confident that what
had begun would blossom in expanding arenas of
prophetic ministry. We are determined that such
ministries will be achieved, though sadly now in
other hands.

When we measure our sorrow and that of his family,
his beloved Janella and his endless number of
friends, words falter. Together we simply turn to
God. We ask new gifts of mercy, strength and
understanding, but we pray especially for God's
embrace to uphold and sustain all who have been
close to him and loved him.

In sharing the gracious faith and courage that so
clearly marked his life, we look even now beyond the
tears to the unending provisions of God. We know in
God's providential care his touch will continue to
enlarge life for all who have known him and for that
endless number who will never know his name. Even in
this moment, "Our hope is built on nothing less than
Jesus' love and righteousness." That was his way. As
he enters now into God's abiding care, we are
confident that this one who has been faithful among
us will now serve faithfully in God's larger realms.

Dear friend, well done! God's rest, healing and
peace be yours eternally where justice lives in love
and God's joy is complete.

- end  -
 -0-