From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WCC Head On Mac Charles Jones Death

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org
Date 07 Mar 1997 11:47:37

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: Carol J. Fouke, NCC News, 212-870-2252
Internet: carol_fouke.parti@ecunet.org

Message of Commemoration for Rev. Dr. Mac Charles
Jones

The World Council of Churches joins the large circle
of friends who mourn the passing away of the Rev.
Dr. Mac Charles Jones. His untimely death leaves a
gap which will not be closed for a long time to
come. There are moments when we do not understand
God's ways and can only pray that God will continue
to guide our feet and keep us faithful.

Mac Charles Jones has been in a unique way the
interpreter of the witness of the Historic African-
American Churches for the wider ecumenical movement.
As a member of the Central Committee of the WCC, the
Unit II Commission and of the Advisory group on
Urban Rural Mission he has left his clear mark on
the life of the WCC, always keeping before the
council and its member churches that the
proclamation of the gospel and the struggle for
justice and human dignity cannot be separated.

As pastor of an inner-city Baptist church in Kansas
City, he was instrumental in convening the "summit"
on urban violence in 1993 and in organizing the
campaign on "Racism as a Violation of Human Rights"
in the USA in 1994/5. It seemed the most fitting
recognition of his unique gifts and his commitment
to justice and reconciliation in American society
that he was called to head up the national
ministries division of the National Council of
Churches in the USA (NCCCUSA), a position he had
assumed only days prior to his death.

Mac has completed the race which had been set before
him. We give thanks for his life and ministry among
us. We have received abundantly from him and pray
that he will now be richly blessed and rewarded with
peace and joy in the presence of God.

With the members of his family, his friends and
colleagues we unite together on this World Day of
Prayer "to look forward to the great day when the
Lord will wipe away every tear and death shall be no
more; neither shall there be mourning, nor crying,
nor pain any more, for God has said 'See, I make all
things new!'"

Konrad Raiser
General Secretary
World Council of Churches