From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELECTOR REGISTRATION

From keith.whitefield@quest.org.uk
Date 08 Mar 1997 10:30:37

March 1, 1997
ANGLICAN COMMUNION NEWS SERVICE
Canon Jim Rosenthal, Director od Communications
Anglican Communion Office
London, England

[97.2.4.4]

KENYA: CHURCHES ASK FOR MORE TIME FOR ELECTOR REGISTRATION

(APS - see earlier ACNS  97.1.5.4, and 97.2.2.5) Further to calls by the
National Council of Churches of Kenya (NCCK) and the Roman Catholic
Church in Kenya for an extension to the deadline for the issue of new
generation ofidentity cards, the President of Kenya extended the
deadline by a month to the end of February.  But Church leaders have
again called for a further extension. The cards are a requirement for
voter registration for national elections.

The Provost of All Saints Anglican Cathedral, the Revd Canon Peter
Njoka, said:"Definitely one month will not be enough.  we need more time
for this exercise and it is my hope that President Moi will reconsider
the idea of extending the current deadline for the exercise if requested
to do so by Kenyans." The Church compound is housing one of the
nation-wide centres that have been set up for the registration.

An official at the National Council of Churches of Kenya (NCCK) told APS
in an interview:"We are currently engaged in monitoring what is going on
in the exercise.  We have our people on the ground and we would not be
able to issue a statement before they are back from the field."